Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 9, 2013   #76
mikej
Tomatovillian™

I have spent hours in the past week trying to identify this bug. Can any one help?

I have been told that my corn has bacterial stalk rot. It is only about 3' tall and is tasseling like crazy. I have read that it can be caused by the a bacteria in the seed, Mechanical damage some as wind, (had it laying on the ground 2 weeks ago), extreme temperature variations, (had that too). excess nitrogen, (doubt it very seriously)

I don't know what caused the stalk to grow like this one on this plant.

But my Cherokee Purple plants are looking great. About another 3 weeks I should be able to start slicing.

Old April 9, 2013   #77
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful Cherokee Purples. You are going to love them! I think it may be 4 or more weeks from the pictures because they grow large. They make unbelievable BLTs.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #78
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, The Cherokee Purples are delicious and my neighbors love them also.

Well I guess I am not a good enough gardener to grow corn. I think everything I could do wrong I did and every thing that could go wrong did. I pulled all the corn plants today after only getting about a half dozen ears to eat. Here are some pics of pests I found today. I found many of each. So far I do not see any on my tomato plants.

corn stalk borer larva.

aphids and spider mites

Old May 13, 2013   #79
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Since I am keeping this thread going on my pests and beneficials I also wanted to post a pic of this beautiful lady beetle.

Old May 13, 2013   #80
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Since I am keeping this thread going on my pests and beneficials I also wanted to post a pic of this beautiful lady beetle.

Mike, be careful that the lady beetle isn't this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_cucumber_beetle
That's a baddie.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #81
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha! I had to check out the images of the spotted cucumber beetle. It would not have surprised me if it had been though because of every thing else I had with the corn. I took this pic after I had removed my plants. Notice in the pic you can also see the aphids on the ground.
Old May 13, 2013   #82
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I pulled all the corn plants today after only getting about a half dozen ears to eat. Here are some pics of pests I found today. I found many of each. So far I do not see any on my tomato plants.

You might of shot yourself in the foot.How far away were the tomatoe plants from the corn?.Might want to think about a DMZ zone between the old corn location if you have not done already.Those critters will be looking for a new food source,your tomatoes.If not done already bagging or burning old corn plants and nuking the row might be a preventative option.

Last edited by kurt; May 13, 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelin
kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #83
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Yes Kurt! I am not very happy right now. My brother told me not to put corn in my garden. His reasoning is that it is too much work and too much can go wrong. I say it is inexperience.

The first row of corn was about 6 ft. from my tomato plants. After I pulled the corn, I sprayed the entire area with Ortho Bug-b-gone. I even sprayed my tomato plants. Only the second time I have done that since placing them in the garden Feb. 12th. Though my corn has been sprayed many times after seeing the BT was not working for all my pests.
Old June 15, 2013   #84
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

My goodness. I thought yellow jackets were bad, but look at this guy!

http://www.mnn.com/local-reports/ohi...u-fair-warning
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote