Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 30, 2010   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default Augsberg Gold

I've searched for a source of Augsberg Gold in the U.S. but so far no luck. These used to be available from Ronnigers. I can see where WSU has them in their bank but otherwise came up blank.

Anyone have a source?

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2010   #2
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

His name in german is: Augsburger Gold

http://www.zeitenspiegel.de/en/text/the-thistle-war

Search the name augsburger Gold.

It's a potatoe resistant to "Phytophthora infestans"

I can find it in Germany.

MP me
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Augsburger Gold: A German variety. Gerhard Bohl has it listed in his "Das Sortenbuch" but I'm thinking your looking for a U.S. source. Ami
Old January 30, 2010   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I've searched for a source of Augsberg Gold in the U.S. but so far no luck. These used to be available from Ronnigers. I can see where WSU has them in their bank but otherwise came up blank.

Anyone have a source?

DarJones
I am curious why you have an interest in Augsburg Gold? I used to grow it back in Kansas (and) in California around the years 1988 thru 1993. At that time it was considered one of the more yellow fleshed potatoes. It was just OK for me and I compared it with Ober Arnbacher Fruhe and German Butterball. Although I have not kept any tubers going since that time, I have it in my TPS (true potato seed) inventory.

http://ppg.cfans.umn.edu/heirlooms/t...sburg_Gold.jpg
This is a link to view the potato. It was roundish, scaly skin when fully mature, and had smallish tubers for me.
If you note some of those Washington links, AO82283-1 and Augsburg Gold were in many trials together. That was before there were many yellow fleshed potatoes and they were considered specialty items. The AO82283-1, bred in Idaho and selected in Oregon during the early 80's was so much better in yield that no one wanted to mess with Augsburg. However, when that numbered variety exhibited too much hollow heart, the interest in all of those yellow lines dropped dramatically. That is why do probably won't find it. At that time, unique varieties like Augsburg were probably not grown from tissue culture and fell by the wayside.

Quote:
Search the name augsburger Gold.

It's a potatoe resistant to "Phytophthora infestans"

I can find it in Germany.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
This link remarks that Augsburg Gold is susceptible to Late Blight. This is in direct contrast to what Ambiorix stated in an earlier post.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=curzio
Curzio does not have Augsburg either. That post is one where I listed the available lines from him. The USDA folks won't have it as tubers, however there is a chance that a test tube meristem plant could be accessed.

The flaky skin of AG holds too much dirt on the tubers and after a long storage season does not look pretty. Augsburg Gold in my opinion is not worth as much as some other deserving clones. Since there are many more yellow fleshed lines available in the pipeline, I would suggest Agria, Golden Sunburst, German Butterball, etc. as alternatives. My own work with developing TPS with yellow to orange flesh could be an avenue also to pursue.

Even though the Google search is not satisfying trying to find the Augsburg Gold, someone may still have a hill or two around, and maybe even an Augsburger Gold could find a way to the states.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote