Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 23, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Uh oh... 1st Asparagus Spears Poking Up

This is about a month earlier than usual. In 2017 the first poked up Feb 27 and last year Feb 19. Last week Pickles spied the first few poking up. Too early!

Already a few were toasted by a few lows of 27.

There's plenty of freezing weather yet to come. It's an 18x18' area and too much to cover. Oh well.....
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

eat them if they get big enough.

painters tarps could be used to cover. they are pretty big. i am thinking the canvas type, not plastic. or a bunch of leaves or such maybe covered by tarp.
or do nothing at all. the crowns will sprout more shoots once the weather warms.

makes me kinda think, maybe i should move to georgia.
its snowing every day this week here at home. only thing growing outside here is the snow banks.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

What a shame!

What has caused them to be up so early? Not normal weather?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking warmer temperatures are causing it.

December's average daily high temp was 58, just 1 degree above normal but the average daily low was 5 degrees above normal. In fact, the lows for the last five days of December were mid 50's.

January's average daily high temp was also 58, just 1.5 degrees above normal but the average daily low was 5 degrees above the normal of 35. Unfortunately for young spears, two day stretches of lows in the mid 20's come through about once a week.

There's been asparagus out in the garden for about 20 years and I've never seen it come up this early.
Old January 23, 2019   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

This must be the el nino taking shape. We're also having strange weather - our storms have turned to rainy ones from the south and balmy weather with bitter cold in between, and the same pattern is continuing in the forecast.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #6
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Crazy weather!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #7
PlainJane

Global warming. I’m re-thinking the chill hours required for new fruit trees I’d like to plant.
Old January 24, 2019   #8
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Global warming. I’m re-thinking the chill hours required for new fruit trees I’d like to plant.
Yes, think ahead and plan for the future.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking that winter may run a bit late this year. Maybe we will have a wonderful long spring like last year. I could do with a repeat of that super tomato growing weather again this year. The only problem with it was that fall didn't get here til way up into November and so it ruined my fall garden but on the plus side I had tomatoes and bell peppers way later than usual. We are having some nice cold weather right now and though it keeps going up and down we are expecting low 20s next week at least for one night so all the things protected lately by just frost cloths may bite the dust when that hits.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #10
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We had very little Spring here last year. We went straight from Winter to Summer. Hoping for a good Spring this time.
Old January 26, 2019   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm thinking that winter may run a bit late this year. Maybe we will have a wonderful long spring like last year. I could do with a repeat of that super tomato growing weather again this year. The only problem with it was that fall didn't get here til way up into November and so it ruined my fall garden but on the plus side I had tomatoes and bell peppers way later than usual.
Bill
Our fall was the same. Great tomato growing but the fall soil was too hot to plant bush beans until mid September when Hurricane Florence cooled the soil enough to plant. That pushed the first picking back to Nov 3 and then it was a race between beans and first frost, which got the last few. Like you I had tomatoes and peppers until late.