Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 5, 2011   #16
Midwesthiker
Tomatovillian™

I started canning in my 20's, & none of my friends did. My husband & I learned from his mom. Now in my 30's I am teaching all my friends to can. it is easy, & so nice to have sauce or salsa in March from last year leftover.

This will be my first year starting mine from seed. For the past 10 years my mother-in-law has always done it for me. I can picture myself being a helicopter tomato parent too!

I hope mine look as good as yours when I can finally start. I have another week to go before I can start mine.
Midwesthiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #17
jrypka
Tomatovillian™

Those look great! I am also going to try starting my first tomatoes this year. I was surprised to see your wire-shelf grow rack with flourescent lights because I was planning on using the same method but had never seen it done before. Way cool!

One question I have is for the experienced folks out there...Is a single 2-bulb fixture enough for an 18" wide shelf? I noticed last year that some of my cole crops that were on the outside really tended to lean in toward the light (because the light was so low to the trays, not a lot of light reached the outside)

I was thinking about hanging 2 2-bulb fixtures for each shelf. Is that overkill? Also, is 8hrs all the light I should be putting on?
jrypka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #18
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Not experienced as you now, but I do have a 4 light fixture that you probably can't see in the pics. It is at the top and shines some light down on all of the seedlings, even the lower shelves with the 2-blub fixtures. I also make sure to rotate my trays so that they can all enjoy the light from the "top shelf treatment."

I am considering buying a second 2 blub for my middle shelf, however. It doesn't seem like over-kill to me because the plants on the outside have to be rotated in or get leggy otherwise.
emzybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #19
jrypka
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzybo View Post
I am considering buying a second 2 blub for my middle shelf, however. It doesn't seem like over-kill to me because the plants on the outside have to be rotated in or get leggy otherwise.
Yes, that was what I was thinking would happen, and kind of what I experienced last year. Rotating for me is a little tougher because I have multiple varieties in each tray, and last year I got everything mixed up!

So I think I'll try 4 bulbs per shelf. Good luck!
jrypka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #20
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd post some pics of my current seed organization systems. (Keep in mind that I'm a visual learner so the no picture, non-visual filing systems aren't so helpful for me....if it's out of sight, it's too easily out of mind, I've found!)

For tomato seeds, I've bought a few seed bead storage kits. They are clear so I can easily see the amount of seeds remaining, and the individual containers are the perfect size for using return address labels to name the varieties. I plan to store these clear "boxes" in a bigger opaque box so they won't be exposed to light.

Also, I'm using photograph organizer sheets and a large binder for my other seeds. I like that I have a space up top to put pictures of the plants I've grown and write gardening notes/journal entries.

I'd be more than interested in hearing what works for y'all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoseedorganizer.jpg (81.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Seedbinder.jpg (120.1 KB, 33 views)
emzybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #21
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I love your seed starting set-up..You have a great list and your plants are looking good! I am so happy you are into gardening and canning..Not to many younger ones are into it these days...I am hoping we see more get onto it in near future...I canned over 50 quarts of tomatoes last season, and my supply is running low...Made lots of sauce, chili, and soup..I plan on canning even more this year, so hopefully the garden season will be good...

Your pic's of your seed organization are very nice...More organized than mine. I have some in a binder. Some in a shoe box, file cabinet etc...All are labeled. And in a cool area in basement out of direct light.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote