Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 4, 2011   #1
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Default My Seedling Pics--First Timer

Here are some pics of my general (cluttered) seed starting setup.

This is my first year growing tomatoes from seed, and I'm pretty anxious about keeping them alive, lol. Shown are various stages of tomato and herb seedlings--I'm going to try to plant some out early, and I have backups. (Perhaps I even have backups for my backups as I've heard stated on here before.) I do feel kind of sorry for my poor "guinea-pig" seedlings, but I think many seem to be doing okay. The oldest were planted about 3 1/2 weeks ago, so the seedlings are at most 3 weeks old.

Any constructive advice, comments or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedstartingsetup2.jpg (245.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg seedstartingsetup3.jpg (201.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg seedstartingsetup1.jpg (202.0 KB, 111 views)
emzybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Your plants are looking great! How many are you oging to be able to put in your garden and what kind are they?
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #3
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kat, here's my current grow list:

Sown on 2/6:
Big Beef
Better Boy
Roma
Brandywine
Early Girl
Big Rainbow
Supersweet 100
Large Red Cherry
Sown 2/11:
Black Krim
Rio Grande
Pruden's Purple
San Marzano
Rutgers
Beefsteak
2/26:
Aunt Lucy's Italian Paste
Ground Cherry
Bloody Butcher
Box Car Willie
Lucky Cross
Old Brooks
Mule Team
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
3/1/11:
Currant
Fantome du Laas
Green Zebra
Kellogg's Breakfast
Matina
Pork Chop
Red Robin (in container)
Remy Rouge
Rinaldo
San Marzano 2
Stump of the World
Yellow Brandywine
Stupice
Sungold F1
Donskoi
NAR
Kosovo
Indian Stripe
Old Virginia

In anticipation for this season, I had talked my sweet dad into plowing up the field near the house. (Living on a small "farm" that my grandparents used to own.) Dad keeps joking that I'm planting 2 acres of tomatoes, but I'm just going to plant 1-2 of most. I'm definitely going to plant at least 3 of Sungold, Stump, Kosovo, Indian Stripe, Cherokee Purple, & Big Beef. I have plenty of room outside and extra seedlings of all I've sown, so I'm going to stick as many tomatoes in the garden as hubby will allow. (Maybe more if he's not looking... ) I figure if I get enough in the ground, surely I won't manage to kill all of them between the weather & my lack of expertise.

Extra plants that don't won't fit or are unneeded will probably be forced upon willing family and friends. I have many tomato growers in the family, but very few start their own from seed... I'm really excited to share varieties they can't buy locally with them.

-Emily
Old March 4, 2011   #4
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Ehhhxcellent!
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #5
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'm so nervous about them getting disease or dying or drying out, or being over watered or xz&z, that I feel like a helicopter gardener (instead of parent). I try not to freak out over every leaf tilt or color, lol. I have no idea why I'm so woried--I never obsessed so much when I was just growing out bonnie plants or the such. =/

I have to say... I'm so grateful for TV! I've learned so much in my short time reading these forums, and I've also learned how much I have yet to learn! Thanks all for being great teachers!
Old March 4, 2011   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

That is a great list Emily! Plant everyone that you think you can take care of and some you can't LOL. Assuming you don't kill them all what are you going to do with all those maters?
I like to can sauce, make annie's salsa and tomato soup. Also am hoping to can whole tomaotes this year as well for the first time. All I know is 2 years ago I thought I had enough canned. The salsa was gone within a month and sauce was gone just as fast.
That year I even gave my father in law a big bowl of different colored tomatoes for his birthday. At first he did not know what to think of all the colors. Especially the striped ones. Turned out he loved kelloggs breakfast.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #7
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Well... I love cooking, so sauces, soups, and the like are right up my alley for what we don't eat fresh. (Love me some tomato sandwiches...mmm..) I am going to try to teach myself to can this summer since hubby & I found my late grandmom's old canner in the attic--in great condition. Might can get my mom to help out or show me what she knows if I bribe her with fresh tomatoes! =) Most of my friends won't be able to help or offer advice since none garden or can.... I'm in my 20's, and I guess they think they're too young for those hobbies? What we can't put up, we'll give away or try to sell at our local farmer's market. (Not sure how the non-reds will sell, but it's worth at shot anyhow.)

It should be an eventful summer for us here!!
Old March 4, 2011   #8
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

you go girl! this is how it begins! I hope you get a pleasant surprise at your farmer's market but definitely can up salsa ( I substitute lemon juice for the vinegar) & make more sauce than you think you'll use - you'll use it!
Try to keep notes on the ones that do great & not so much but remember to give varieites more than 1 year if they weren't so awesome but had potential. If I based everything on 2010 (year of tomato doom here) I would be at a loss where to begin this year. May you have tomatoes up to your hips this summer!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #9
salix
Tomatovillian™

Em, I am so excited and happy for you as a new tomato grower and wish you a very good growing season. I would recommend to you to check out the 'Harvest Forum' at Garden web for great (and SAFE) advice on canning. Good luck and please keep us posted.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #10
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

That's an outstanding list of tomatoes...I have many of those varieties currently growing under the lights here at home...best of luck!
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #11
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

grow them slow, not to much lights 8 hr only, no sun either, easy on the water, and move them around, a lot like wind, or shake them. They will be small and the stem will be big.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #12
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Looking good for a first timer!
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Your plants look good, Emily, and you have really nice list. Sounds like you're really jumping in big time! Good for you-gardening's a wonderful experience, no matter how old you are.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #14
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

I know I'm jumping in big time! I blame y'all--- you guys are major enablers!!! But, I did decide that this year would be a great year for me to branch out and experiment since I have more free time then usual... I lost my job due to my school losing several teacher units. (They are even having to close smaller schools here due to funding, yikes!) I will be going back to school for another degree in the fall, but I will still have plenty of time to devote to gardening.

Last edited by emzybo; March 4, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old March 4, 2011   #15
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear you lost your job. Me to, three years ago! At least your going to have the best garden to this point in your life! I promise. With all the spare time the worst part is watching it grow!
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote