Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old May 4, 2017   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the things you learn here. I never knew you needed two of them. I have grown them... they grew like weeds. I never thought they were difficult but I didn't realize one wouldn't suffice. good thing I never plant only one of anything. I didn't grow them more than one year though... I think it wasn't hot enough here for at least 10 years for such a crop because they didn't yield very well. maybe with my high tunnels though I could now try them.
Old May 4, 2017   #17
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
If started indoors they can be very spindly. However, they're not like that in my unheated 6'x5'x3' Strong Camel greenhouse. They come up quite short and squat. They're just as easy to start as tomatoes in there, but they do start out smaller. I think they just need more light and maybe cooler night-time temperatures to avoid being spindly. They certainly get that in the greenhouse.
I wonder if variety matters. I start mine indoors, transplant into square pots at the cotyledon stage and then quickly (within a week) move to my unheated cold frame, which this time of year is often in the 40s at night and I still had them hitting the top of the cold frame before plant out time. I start mine about 5 weeks before plant out time now. I grow Toma Verde.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
the things you learn here. I never knew you needed two of them. I have grown them... they grew like weeds. I never thought they were difficult but I didn't realize one wouldn't suffice. good thing I never plant only one of anything. I didn't grow them more than one year though... I think it wasn't hot enough here for at least 10 years for such a crop because they didn't yield very well. maybe with my high tunnels though I could now try them.
Several years ago I was at a nursery buying some and every person I saw with just one I told them they needed at least two to pollinate.
I should have gotten a commission.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Several years ago I was at a nursery buying some and every person I saw with just one I told them they needed at least two to pollinate.
I should have gotten a commission.
Worth
yep. the thinks my husband should bill for...... he thinks for everybody else while doing his own job while digging for a new house. tying to explain to a GC why their idea won't work or it is more cost effective to do it a different way... or wait... we should wait a week to start this house the forecast is rain rain and more rain... it is more expensive to dig all the mud out of the footer... or the house is too low, you need to truck 60 loads of dirt out of here.. but nope, he gets frustrated and talks my ear off about it... I tell him to bill for them being stupid (not ignorant, but stupid because there was a better way to do something).