Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old October 14, 2015   #46
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The tea that I made from the steamed material and no molasses doesn't smell that great. I'm going to toss it.

The tea that was just two socks of material thrown into a bucket of fish tank water with a spoon of molasses now looks like honey lager beer. It has a smell that could be an air freshener scent. I'd call it "hay loft." I don't get a huge amount of foam, so I don't know that it is that great on a bacterial level, but I have a suspicion it is rich in humic acid. It may also have beneficial fungi.

The only way I have gotten a lot of foam in my tea is to add Jobe's Compost Starter to it, which is mostly a mix of organic fertilizers. It only takes a tablespoon or two in a 5-gal bucket, or else you make stuff that burns your plants, and it stinks too much early in the brew.

The stuff I made last fall about this time was also good. It seemed better than doing it in the winter. I may take a few buckets of material inside soon and use that in January when I begin starting seeds.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #47
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

So how much molasses for a 6 gallon container..? One table spoon..? Also should two aquarium pumps be enough for the aeration?
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #48
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

About a tablespoon for a 5-gallon bucket. One dual-output air pump will work. Two might be better, but not required.
Old October 15, 2015   #49
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
So how much molasses for a 6 gallon container..? One table spoon..? Also should two aquarium pumps be enough for the aeration?

The logical gardener (#36 above has link) recommends 0.5 to 0.75 % for molasses, so for your 6 gallon container, roughly 22,700 mL, by his reqs you add over 100 mL, so that's over 6 tbsp. At most I do 2-3 tbsp per 7 gallon brew, otherwise they don't go through it in the 36 hours and the molasses smell is still somewhat strong at the end. But by the same token, I've been using some products that contain molasses and kelp and once they're diluted and ready for use, they smell about the same as the strong-molasses tea. So I guess what I'm saying is extra molasses doesn't seem to hurt the plants or the brew.

My little dual outlet pump does 128 GPH and it diffuses plenty of oxygen. I use a medium air stone on each tube. I've placed both airstones in one bucket (no difference) and an airstone each for two buckets and it brews just fine.

Just remember in the case of compost/worm teas, less is more.

A sprinkle of alfalfa meal and peat moss (for extra variety of critters) rounds things out nicely.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #50
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
About a tablespoon for a 5-gallon bucket. One dual-output air pump will work. Two might be better, but not required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
The logical gardener (#36 above has link) recommends 0.5 to 0.75 % for molasses, so for your 6 gallon container, roughly 22,700 mL, by his reqs you add over 100 mL, so that's over 6 tbsp. At most I do 2-3 tbsp per 7 gallon brew, otherwise they don't go through it in the 36 hours and the molasses smell is still somewhat strong at the end. But by the same token, I've been using some products that contain molasses and kelp and once they're diluted and ready for use, they smell about the same as the strong-molasses tea. So I guess what I'm saying is extra molasses doesn't seem to hurt the plants or the brew.

My little dual outlet pump does 128 GPH and it diffuses plenty of oxygen. I use a medium air stone on each tube. I've placed both airstones in one bucket (no difference) and an airstone each for two buckets and it brews just fine.

Just remember in the case of compost/worm teas, less is more.

A sprinkle of alfalfa meal and peat moss (for extra variety of critters) rounds things out nicely.
Thanks...! I have some sphagnum peat moss that I've had for about 2 years so I'm not so sure if that will still have any life left in it. I only have single outlet pumps so I'll just connect two up at once. Looking forward to trying this out.
Old October 15, 2015   #51
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have some sphagnum peat moss that I've had for about 2 years so I'm not so sure if that will still have any life left in it..
The little guys are real hardy.
Old October 15, 2015   #52
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
The little guys are real hardy.
Excellent. Think I'll "brew" for the 36 hours. Water is busy running with the air pump in the bucket to dechlorinate the water a bit first. Lastly, how long after you stop using the air pump is the brew still viable?

I want to take some of the compost tea to my folks when I drop off my little one in the morning before work so I can get some of the goodies to my tomato plants I've planted there.....
Old October 15, 2015   #53
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Excellent. Think I'll "brew" for the 36 hours. Water is busy running with the air pump in the bucket to dechlorinate the water a bit first. Lastly, how long after you stop using the air pump is the brew still viable?

I want to take some of the compost tea to my folks when I drop off my little one in the morning before work so I can get some of the goodies to my tomato plants I've planted there.....
It's good for a couple of hours, about 4-6. Juice the plants in the AM and by the afternoon they'll perk up.
Old October 16, 2015   #54
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Only need about an hour so that will be perfect.
Old June 30, 2016   #55
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Cole, are you running any compost tea through your injector? or are hand watering all of your plants with the tea if you are still using it?. thanks. I was thinking I would toss a shovel of chicken manure in a bucket of water inside of a mesh bag and run it through the injector for my hose watering... and maybe try it with a really fine filter for the drip system ... maybe. I don't want to plug my emitters,( not that I would confess that to Kevin if it happened. I would just know better than to do it next year..)
Old June 30, 2016   #56
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

No, I haven't been. The material I would make tea out of is the same material that I have used for my soil, so I'm not sure it would help. I am about to plant a melon patch in some ground that is much less improved. I was thinking about trying it then.

You would need a really fine filter, I'm guessing.
Old June 30, 2016   #57
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Okay. I shoveled a bladeful of composted chicken manure into a mesh bag (not fine enough) and am running it through the injector and watering hose for the potted plants in the greenhouse. I'll try a better bag though for the next bucket.
Old June 30, 2016   #58
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Tak two fast growing seedlings,maybe beans or squash. Do one with pasturized tea,one with raw tea. My bet is the raw one will do better.
I have doing aerated worm tea for my citrus trees and it has really made a difference.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #59
redisgood
Tomatovillian™

Cole, You wouldn't like my pickles. I make fermented pickles. It's a process that uses naturally occurring bacteria that is in the air all around us. They look foamy and cloudy and my nephew said "there is something wrong with those pickles". They taste SOOOO GOOD! and good for you! Pickles were made this way since ancient times.
I guess what I'm trying to say is let nature take care of itself. The tomato plant will take what it needs and you eat the tomato, not the manure. I made a chicken manure tea some years back. No pasturizing or microwaving, just straight manure and water. I used the stinky mess for my tomatoes and guess what? Tomatoes did fabulous and the tomatoes were GOOD! Stop worrying.
redisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #60
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Well, I am running the "tea" through the hose from the injector and there doesn't seem to be a problem with it. I just am tired of paying for fertilizer and want to see better disease control, soooooo, we will see what this does.