Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 2, 2007   #1
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Default Blueberries

Anyone have blueberries? How well do they produce for you? I am thinking of planting an early, mid and late season variety. I know they like acidic soil, but do they need full sun?
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks,
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2007   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Blueberries

I have two bushes . Both grown in containers (better control over soil requirements) - Toro and Dixie. Dixie is an older variety - I recall picking these at a friends blueberry farm in Richmond in my youth - easy to pick, delicious larger berry.

Anyhoo, mine don't get full day sun due to many trees around property - so go for it. I've read you need two for good cross pollination - but I guess there must be others growing blueberries close by because when I just had Toro it did fine - and this one is a nice small bush. Just wacth out for birds and squirrels - one of their favourite foods I think

They also offer beautiful fall foliage.
Old March 7, 2007   #3
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

I bought a dozen 3-year plants from Finches Blueberry Nursery (www.danfinch.com). Varieties I got were Climax, Delite, Woodard, and Tifblue, chosen based on what King's Orchard (www.kingsorchard.com) uses and what I've read. I planted a few weeks back and so far, so good. They're budding like crazy!
JohnnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #4
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Last year I set out 4 plants; Blueray, Bluecrop, Northland and Elliot. I dug large holes and planted them in a mixture of half peat and half compost then mulched with oak leaves and sawdust. So far, they're doing great.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #5
N B Gray
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone tired to root start blueberry cuttings?
N B Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #6
Big_Red
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

N B Gray, nope, but I'm going to try it when the weather warms a little and I get a chance to set up a rooting bed.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2007   #7
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried it myself yet, but read/heard that it's a lot easier than starting them from seed.

I have tried seeds a few times before - with zero success. Soon I'll take cuttings and try to propagate them this way.

Concerning pollination - they are insect pollinated - so make sure you got some busy bees around them.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I had a 50% success rate last year (8 of 16) with some wild highbush cuttings. This was done outside, no controlled climate. I heard it's 50-90% successful if you know what you're doing. I guess I barely know what I'm doing.

I'd now like to try some known cultivars. If anyone would like to offer any, please PM me.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #9
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

There are alot of lowbush blues growing wild. They are in full sun, very acidic, soggy soil. The biggest patches are on the edge of the wetland. I was picking them in the wetland until I noticed that a bear was also interested in them. He left quite the pile of evidence.

I'd be really interested in taking cuttings so I put some in another area. Should I be taking softwood cuttings when they start leafing out? Any advice appreciated.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Flowerpower,

Before they leaf out, is when to get the cuttings. With lowbushes, I'm thinking that transplanting the whole plant might work.

I can't do that with the wild highbushes. They're 14' tall with 3"+ trunks/ main stems.

Only one bear? The lowbushes around here that get sun, grow at the top edge of a 500' cliff. The highbushes are on the edge of a swamp. That's when the beavers don't flood it, otherwise the plants are in the swamp. Some on small islands out in the swamp. Rattlesnake/copperhead den between the cliff and swamp. Moose in the swamp in summer. Coyotes, bears, snapping turtles. Ticks everywhere. Blizzard of skeeters as soon as it clouds in. A mile to the nearest road. The shortcut is through rocks, mud, thorns, and brush. I haven't stepped on a yellow jacket's nest, or found poison ivy, yet.

Gary
Old March 25, 2007   #11
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, I am basically dealing with the same terrain. There are alot of plants on the little islands, I probably could get a few out with the roots. I will take cuttings too though.

I am lucky enough not to have Moose probs yet. They have just moved into the area in the past yr. There are coyote, snappers, porcupines, coons and bear in there. Bear was legal to hunt here last season and it hasn't been in yrs.Last fall my BF was jogging about a mile away on a seasonal rd and he saw a mama bear with her 2 cubs.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #12
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Wow Flowerpower! All I have to worry about is my 2 dogs getting into the beds thinking I made them for their personal use!
I got my 3 blueberry bushes in and planted them yesterday. I got them from Stark Bros. They look soooo small. Hope they do well. Will keep everyone updated as they progress.
Carol
Old March 26, 2007   #13
dgriff
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the same area as you and have about 8 that I started last year. they lost there leaves but are starting to all Bud again this year. Needed to really till and ammend the crappy clay soil we have here.
dgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Flowerpower,

What we'll go through to get those little blue jewels!

The porcupines, coons (and also skunks) I rarely see, because they're mostly nocturnal. Be careful if you see one in the daytime. It could mean rabies.

I forgot about the most dangerous animals, the only ones that keep me away. The Beer & Bullets Bipedals.

Your jogging BF became a sprinter, that day?

Gary
Old March 26, 2007   #15
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Dgriff...your blueberries survived the winter? Did you mulch them really well? Have you gotten any blueberries yet? I read they won't really give us any blueberries for about 3 years. Which part of Va Beach are you from? I am near Kempsville.
Carol