Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 12, 2015   #751
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Just to update I have started almost all of my pepper/tomato/eggplant seeds in DE this year and have had no issues of any kind. Although I didn't have any in Metromix 360 either, the germination has been much faster in DE and the % of seeds germinated has improved around 25%. This could possibly be due to other factors such as source of seeds etc but I think its likely the DE.

The only thing I don't like about DE is that unless you use clear containers it is hard to tell if they need watering or not since the top dries out so fast. How often do you guys water your seedlings in DE? I have been doing it 2x a week and spraying the top until most of the seeds have fully germinated.
I have had a little mold growth here and there but it hasn't caused any issues and I haven't lost any plants.

Thanks to everyone who has helped this thread spread knowledge
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #752
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I do water all my plantings from bottom and with the DE I usually keep a bit water on the tray all the time. The stuff that I use may not be the real DE or exactly like the one sold in U.S., but it should work the same way.

For my tomato seeds I used a plastic seedling tray with one piece 20 cell insert. I filled all except one of the cells with the gravel and I use the empty one to pour water on the bottom and via it I can see how much water there is.

This is how my babies look now

(Clicking the photo should open it bigger)

Sari
Old February 13, 2015   #753
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
I do water all my plantings from bottom and with the DE I usually keep a bit water on the tray all the time. The stuff that I use may not be the real DE or exactly like the one sold in U.S., but it should work the same way.

For my tomato seeds I used a plastic seedling tray with one piece 20 cell insert. I filled all except one of the cells with the gravel and I use the empty one to pour water on the bottom and via it I can see how much water there is.

This is how my babies look now

(Clicking the photo should open it bigger)

Sari
Sari, the plants look great. I see Eco-Grip now has a horticultural version called Eco-Grip Grow. It's not DE but it looks like it has many of the same properties, serves the same purpose as growing substrate.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #754
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Just to update I have started almost all of my pepper/tomato/eggplant seeds in DE this year and have had no issues of any kind. Although I didn't have any in Metromix 360 either, the germination has been much faster in DE and the % of seeds germinated has improved around 25%. This could possibly be due to other factors such as source of seeds etc but I think its likely the DE.

The only thing I don't like about DE is that unless you use clear containers it is hard to tell if they need watering or not since the top dries out so fast. How often do you guys water your seedlings in DE? I have been doing it 2x a week and spraying the top until most of the seeds have fully germinated.
I have had a little mold growth here and there but it hasn't caused any issues and I haven't lost any plants.

Thanks to everyone who has helped this thread spread knowledge
Water from the bottom and let it wick up to the top. That way you know it's not drying out.
Old February 14, 2015   #755
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely do all my watering from the bottom until the plants are fairly large and more immune to damping off. I would recommend that since you are in a very humid climate, that you not leave the planting cells or cups in a watering tray with water in it all the time. The only times I have had issues with damping off was when I did that.

My seed starting is done in a very small greenhouse that heats up quite a lot on sunny days and will dry the DE out very fast but in times of cloudy cold weather they may not need watering for over a week. I suggest you watch the surface of the DE and let that tell you when to water. If the surface turns light then it is time to water. Later if you develop algae or mold on the surface you will have to touch it and nudge the DE to see how dry it is under the surface.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2015   #756
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

IMO, seed germination has nothing to do withe type of medium
For the seed to germinnate, they need MOISTURE and HEAT ( 75 to 85F)
People successfully germinate, in zip bags, topperware, empty glass ...
Medium CAN make a difference AFTER germination, when the seedling grow roots, looging for moisture, nutriens and air.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #757
Boarhead
Tomatovillian™

I am trying the autozone stuff vs jiffy mix. Will post results!

Last edited by Boarhead; February 22, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Boarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #758
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhead View Post
I am trying the autozone stuff vs jiffy mix. Will post results!
That was my original experiment in this thread way back in the beginning. Looking forward to your results.
Old March 19, 2015   #759
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I know someone mentioned how to sterilize the used DE in order to reuse it but I can't remember what temperature to bake it to in the oven or for how long. I am using a lot of Optisorb in my grafting and really don't need it for anything else and I would like to reuse it if it isn't too much trouble to sterilize so if someone can tell me how I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #760
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I know someone mentioned how to sterilize the used DE in order to reuse it but I can't remember what temperature to bake it to in the oven or for how long. I am using a lot of Optisorb in my grafting and really don't need it for anything else and I would like to reuse it if it isn't too much trouble to sterilize so if someone can tell me how I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Bill
Spread out preheat oven to 180f and bake for 30 minutes.
At least that is what you can do for soil.
The industry says for consumption to heat for 30 minutes at 140 to 160.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #761
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Last year for me - tinfoil covered baking tray. Tossed in the oven set to 400 or 450 cannot remember exactly. Came back after about 30 minutes to stir it around. Cooked for about another 30 min until bone dry.
I wanted bone dry so I could pack for storage immediately upon cooling.
The high temp also had the effect of burning up some of the left over roots which was a good thing.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #762
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Out of 9 seeds I had in the seed trays, 3 germinated
two seedlings died due to damping off in the DE.

brand new DE, bottom watered, on a heating mat, no sunlight so far. Once they get true leaves, they will go under the lights

So going back to my old method of sprouting in a dixie cup and then transplanting the sprouts to the DE seed tray. I hope that will prevent some damping off
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #763
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I put the used DE in the microwave for 3-4 minutes in a glass bow when barely damp. Then I check it to 180.

I started over 500 plants in DE so far this year with over 90% germination and no damping off at all. That includes:

Pepper - Cal Wonder, China Giant, Anaheim, Greek pepperochini, Corno di toro, Serano, Orange habanero ( I have 72 super hots germ. now)

Tomato's - Martino Roma, Pineapple, Cherokee Purple (I planted another 72 of various varieties yesterday)

Baby Bok Choi, Muchilini Cabbage, Spinach(2 types), Kale, Chard, Lettuce (4 types), Kohlrabi, Lime Basil, Common Basil and Butterfly weed

Celery was a bit of a problem but it was my fault with moisture.

Here are some random pics. Everything was started in DE except for flowers.

Fig was propagated in DE but is in soiless now with DE topping. The butterfly weed next to it was also started in DE. I am working on Goji Berry now and will try other berry propagation throughout the year.

The BEST part...it is super easy to shake off the DE when you let it dry out for transplanting to my aquaponics system. No more rinsing and soggy roots. There is also less shock. Here a a shot of one of the AP beds. They took off much faster than previous years.

Overall shot of the GH.

Thanks Ray!

Last edited by Rairdog; March 19, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #764
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I use the microwave quite regularly to sterilize soil. It works great, I never have damping off problems any more.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #765
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
Out of 9 seeds I had in the seed trays, 3 germinated
two seedlings died due to damping off in the DE.

brand new DE, bottom watered, on a heating mat, no sunlight so far. Once they get true leaves, they will go under the lights

So going back to my old method of sprouting in a dixie cup and then transplanting the sprouts to the DE seed tray. I hope that will prevent some damping off
Thinking about where the Pythium or whatever spores came into the picture since the DE is sterile out of the bag.
What is your water source that you used?
Did you sterilize your seed trays before filling them?

How warm was the soil on the heat mat?