Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2007   #1
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Default 2007 Summary part 2

I started to get worried my wireless acting up I went ahead and posted.
I do not have pics for all but I have noticed if I did not like it very much it did not get a pic....but then the season just busted open and I got to busy to take more.

Orange Bull's heart (from Andrey and I should be calling it what is written in picture) VERY good flavor, not a heart and good production.

Zolotoe- Very Very early and prolific and tasty did I say prolific.........

PP Paste like pepper tomato. Very Pretty. Not as sweet as I would like but good flavor.

Not pictured
Rena's Turban -ok taste, very bad ber hated the heat.
Russian Green-If I was a market grower I would use this as a green when ripe, nice size taste is almost as good as GG and it is very productive.
Prue- (do I need to say anything)?
Berg- a Brandywine type that was VERY tasty and productive thin skinned almost like a Rose de berne (spelling) Large, fat and juicy.
Gajo de melon- Good flavor, had a hard time with the heat but still managed to produce.
Lucky Cross- YUM (love it)
Red Zebra early productive happy to see it then unhappy to keep seeing it. Will always bring it back due to production, it is a seedy tomato.
Stump of the w- YUM love it
Black sea man -Always good for me but the strain I recieved from SSE catalog (not yearbook) is the best.
Heart shaped Brandywine- Late and not very tasty not big.
Lescana heart- hated the heat not much production.
Little Lucky heart-tasty productive loved the heat but just needs to be bigger lol.
Yellow Oxheart- Production and taste issues.
Depps Pink Firefly (always good)
hybrids from Japan my brother sent DELISH
Heavens Joy-new to me black tomato very productive and good flavor, about 9 oz.
Omars Lebanese (still alive)
George's Lemon Ox- OH MY These things are huge but really taste horrid. Plants were loaded. My dh said it was the only tomato he said he did not think he could eat. Big and beautiful .
Mennonite Orange (always a fav)
Rasberry Giant- not great flavor but very good production also p leaf.
Taxi -yuk Fantastic production.
Sulia's heart- Good flavor

I have more but that is all I can do tonight
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #2
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing those nice photos and descriptions!
Especially interested in the Japan tomatoes. Were there any large ones that tasted like Sungold?
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

All the Japanese tomatoes are smaller except Monotaro. The yellow is bigger then a sungold and brighter yellow. The other was red and bigger then a cherry but smaller then a Jaune Flamme. Last year I grew a red one and it grew like grapes here is a pic. Taste is excellent. I label them numbers as I do not speak or read Japanese.

Old July 14, 2007   #4
honu
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that sure looks good. Thanks imisscolo!
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the excellent pics and the commentary. "Yellow Oxheart- Production and taste issues." Now there's a euphemism!

How many varieties did you grow this year?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2007   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I have not not done a count This was my last year to try tomatoes in the ground (along with my containers) as we have some sort of wilt issues in the soil. I lost probably 50 to that alone. At one time I counted 75 hearts I always try to limit myself and then I end up adding and adding.
Old July 15, 2007   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Very beautiful photoes, Rena!

Some comments. I hope Zolotoe Serdtse (Heart of Gold) will be soon a big hit aside CIS. It is very early, productive and tasty as Rena mentioned.

As far as some other gardeners admitted and me as well Bytch'e Serdtse Oranzhevoe (Orange Bull's Heart) bears both heart shaped and round-flat fruits. I believe it's because it has been developed from a cross Bull's Heart with unknown (for us) orange fruited variety.

How about other heart shaped varieties I've sent seeds to you? Did you manage to grow them or leave them for 2008?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2007   #8
Rena
Tomatovillian™

See summary 1 below. I will update with the others I have to report tonight if my kids are quiet.
Old July 15, 2007   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've seen it as well, but expect more and more photoes even if your kids will be noisy

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote