Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 13, 2015   #1
snugglekitten
BANNED

Default Dominant genes in wild species

Hi,

Lets say that I am using a wild tomato to cross with a garden variety tomato.

For example, cheesmanii x esculentum or pimpinifollium x esculentum.

Givin that the former has certain dominant genes that make it resistant to certain diseases, which resistance can I be sure will show up in my F1?

Does anyone have any information on this regarding the more common wild species?

Thanks in advance,
SK
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #2
snugglekitten
BANNED

Okay, I found one so far...... oh mein gott! I am clever kitty....

TYLCV bites the dust with L. Pimpinellifolium.... Pimpin truly aint easy!
Old March 13, 2015   #3
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglekitten View Post
Hi,

Lets say that I am using a wild tomato to cross with a garden variety tomato.

For example, cheesmanii x esculentum or pimpinifollium x esculentum.

Givin that the former has certain dominant genes that make it resistant to certain diseases, which resistance can I be sure will show up in my F1?

Does anyone have any information on this regarding the more common wild species?

Thanks in advance,
SK
Maybe you're on the right track, but I don't completely follow your working idea of dominant genes making a different species resistant. Since it is another species not necessarily in a large hybridization zone, it is just part of its genetic makeup the way I interpret that. Then, if you manually manage to cross two "interspecific" plants the first generation of the resulting cross will be a complex mixture of traits, dominant, recessive and likely multi-loci rather than a cut and dry single addition of the desired quality to the garden tomato you want to contribute, whether it be disease resistance or something else.

So the traits are out there, but the trick is to selectively or surgically get the desired one out without all of the baggage into your garden tomato so it meets your expectations and additionally has the targetted resistance.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #4
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRedHeart View Post
Maybe you're on the right track, but I don't completely follow your working idea of dominant genes making a different species resistant. Since it is another species not necessarily in a large hybridization zone, it is just part of its genetic makeup the way I interpret that. Then, if you manually manage to cross two "interspecific" plants the first generation of the resulting cross will be a complex mixture of traits, dominant, recessive and likely multi-loci rather than a cut and dry single addition of the desired quality to the garden tomato you want to contribute, whether it be disease resistance or something else.

So the traits are out there, but the trick is to selectively or surgically get the desired one out without all of the baggage into your garden tomato so it meets your expectations and additionally has the targetted resistance.
Yes you are 100% right in terms of the plant itself, but isolating a single gene that fights a certain disease, is what I'm after.

So, for example, if a plant has the gene *I'm making this name up* FS42 which repels white flies, for example, if both parents has FS42, perfect, if one parent has it but its a recessive gene, not so good for F1.

Last edited by snugglekitten; March 13, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old March 13, 2015   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Some of the genes you can search for are:

Septoria tolerance - some in LA0417, in spades in LA2175.

Nematode tolerance - mi9 is in LA2157

Late Blight tolerance - Best to get ph2 and ph3 from developed material such as Mountain Merit or Defiant.

Early Blight tolerance - You can get this from Eva Purple Ball, not exceptionally good, but definitely improves plant performance

Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus - LA3859 has moderate tolerance in a Pimpinellifolium background
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #6
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Some of the genes you can search for are:

Septoria tolerance - some in LA0417, in spades in LA2175.

Nematode tolerance - mi9 is in LA2157

Late Blight tolerance - Best to get ph2 and ph3 from developed material such as Mountain Merit or Defiant.

Early Blight tolerance - You can get this from Eva Purple Ball, not exceptionally good, but definitely improves plant performance

Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus - LA3859 has moderate tolerance in a Pimpinellifolium background

Thanks as always, Fusion Power!
Old March 14, 2015   #7
snugglekitten
BANNED

The biggest issues in Northern and Eastern Europe is the fact that we have a low amount of sunlight and many rainy days, this means early/late blight are big issues here. Late blight can wipe out entire crops before the end of the year, cutting short almost a month of potential production.

Many Russian heirlooms are great for producing early, healthy plants, but none of them show the late blight tolerance that I'd like to see.

Germoplasm from Netherlands is made for that Atlantic - warm - greenhouse world, a bit different from gloomy, dark Eastern Europe.

Southern European varieties - forget about it here. You'd be lucky to get anything after July.

So far in terms of production, the natives of Czech republic work wonders, same with Poland, but many of them are determinate, and I want to shoot for indeterminate because with my methods, I can get flowers to bud by February and want to continue at least until October.

Whiteflies are another huge pest, that I do not have a real answer for.

Last edited by snugglekitten; March 14, 2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old March 14, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Snugglekitten... I could be wrong, one of the experts could probably weigh in, but since your looking for White fly resistance which is a pest instead of say a disease like blight , seems to be that you would be wanting to look for a pheromone that would repeal them.

It been way to many years now, but I remember a study and it involved two types of berries producing plants. They were in same family but totally different genius. One plant attracted one type of insect, but was not bothered by the same insect as the other plant was. It was the pheromones produced that was the attractant and the repellant.

This past season I had two tomato plants that the fruits were covered with whiteflies. Not one of the the other ten plants around them was bothered at all. I didn't spray or do anything to treat the two infected plants. I just let them grow and watched their progress. The two infected were crosses and may both have had one parent that was the same . The plants eventually croaked and I thought that maybe the whiteflies would move over to the other plants, but they didn't.

Like I say, I could be way off base here, but just thought it might be something you might consider in your search.

Last edited by Starlight; March 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #9
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Snugglekitten... I could be wrong, one of the experts could probably weigh in, but since your looking for White fly resistance which is a pest instead of say a disease like blight , seems to be that you would be wanting to look for a pheromone that would repeal them.

It been way to many years now, but I remember a study and it involved two types of berries producing plants. They were in same family but totally different genius. One plant attracted one type of insect, but was not bothered by the same insect as the other plant was. It was the pheromones produced that was the attractant and the repellant.

This past season I had two tomato plants that the fruits were covered with whiteflies. Not one of the the other ten plants around them was bothered at all. I didn't spray or do anything to treat the two infected plants. I just let them grow and watched their progress. The two infected were crosses and may both have had one parent that was the same . The plants eventually croaked and I thought that maybe the whiteflies would move over to the other plants, but they didn't.

Like I say, I could be way off base here, but just thought it might be something you might consider in your search.

Whitefly was a bad example.

Because the gene is available, but not to "little people" like me.

http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechu...t.asp?ID=10158
Old March 14, 2015   #10
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Because the gene is available, but not to "little people" like me. http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechu...t.asp?ID=10158
I wonder if they've identified/mapped/sequenced the gene(s) in question, or just have identified that there are gene(s).
Old March 15, 2015   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Whitefly was a bad example.

Because the gene is available, but not to "little people" like me.

http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechu...t.asp?ID=10158

I seen the other link that was started a few years ago that you had posted on just a bit ago and read this article.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-galapag...-tomatoes.html

I got to the bottom of the report and saw that Vreeken's Zaden was one of the companies going to work on this project.

I had just a bit ago posted the link to their site for Bill to look at a rootstock I had from there.

Maybe if you go through you will find some tomatoes to work with. I know they have the Galapogos available plus a bunch of other types from the wild tomato. Some I see are not available yet, but you might bookmark the page to keep an eye out for when they do become available.

https://www.vreeken.nl/zaden/groenten-fruit/tomaten
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #12
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

whitefly resistance:

Quoting from Firdaus:
Solanum galapagense is closely related to the cultivated tomato and shows a very good resistance towards whitefly. A segregating population resulting from a cross between the cultivated tomato and a whitefly resistant S. galapagense was created and used for mapping whitefly resistance and related traits, which made it possible to unravel the genetic basis of the resistance. Quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for adult survival co-localized with type IV trichome characteristics (presence, density, gland longevity and gland size). A major QTL (Wf-1) was found for adult survival and trichome characters on Chromosome 2. This QTL explained 54.1% of the variation in adult survival and 81.5% of the occurrence of type IV trichomes. A minor QTL (Wf-2) for adult survival and trichome characters was identified on Chromosome 9. The major QTL was confirmed in F3 populations. Sixteen metabolites segregating in the F2 mapping population were associated with Wf-1 and/or Wf-2. The Wf-1 locus was associated with acyl sugar production. These results show that whitefly resistance in S. galapagense seems to inherit relatively easy compared to whitefly resistance from other sources and offers great prospects for resistance breeding as well as elucidating the underlying molecular mechanism(s) of the resistance.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #13
snugglekitten
BANNED

white flies are unruly bloodsuckers of tomatoes and bring on other diseases so they are like the HIV of the tomato world.
Old March 15, 2015   #14
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I seen the other link that was started a few years ago that you had posted on just a bit ago and read this article.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-galapag...-tomatoes.html

I got to the bottom of the report and saw that Vreeken's Zaden was one of the companies going to work on this project.

I had just a bit ago posted the link to their site for Bill to look at a rootstock I had from there.

Maybe if you go through you will find some tomatoes to work with. I know they have the Galapogos available plus a bunch of other types from the wild tomato. Some I see are not available yet, but you might bookmark the page to keep an eye out for when they do become available.

https://www.vreeken.nl/zaden/groenten-fruit/tomaten

Hi! Thanks

My only issue with this is that with pestilence I can save it and innoculate an area for testing, whereas with whitefly I have to pray that it (doesn't) returns.
Old March 19, 2015   #15
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
whitefly resistance:

Quoting from Firdaus:
Solanum galapagense is closely related to the cultivated tomato and shows a very good resistance towards whitefly. A segregating population resulting from a cross between the cultivated tomato and a whitefly resistant S. galapagense was created and used for mapping whitefly resistance and related traits, which made it possible to unravel the genetic basis of the resistance. Quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for adult survival co-localized with type IV trichome characteristics (presence, density, gland longevity and gland size). A major QTL (Wf-1) was found for adult survival and trichome characters on Chromosome 2. This QTL explained 54.1% of the variation in adult survival and 81.5% of the occurrence of type IV trichomes. A minor QTL (Wf-2) for adult survival and trichome characters was identified on Chromosome 9. The major QTL was confirmed in F3 populations. Sixteen metabolites segregating in the F2 mapping population were associated with Wf-1 and/or Wf-2. The Wf-1 locus was associated with acyl sugar production. These results show that whitefly resistance in S. galapagense seems to inherit relatively easy compared to whitefly resistance from other sources and offers great prospects for resistance breeding as well as elucidating the underlying molecular mechanism(s) of the resistance.
I have experimented with Solanum galapagense. A website that I can't find now described the foliage as having a "citrus" smell. Personally, I would describe it as "burning garbage" and I wouldn't be surprised if whiteflies disliked it as much as I do. The taste of the fruit is about what you would expect from the smell. On a more optimistic note, when crossed with S. lycopersicum, the F1 is very sweet (like crosses with S. pimpinellifolium) although still disgusting. With a couple generations of self-crossing, it is possible to select out the bad flavor while retaining the sweetness. I have one line from a cross with Brandywine and three from a cross with Pineapple. They are all 3/4" to 1". The Brandywine cross is orange, and the pineapple crosses are respectively red/brown, bright orange, and a weird orange/brown color. My notes say the red/brown and orange/brown ones seemed to be resistant to the early blight that plagued my garden last year. I don't usually have a whitefly problem, so I don't know whether selecting out the bad flavor also selected out the whitefly resistance. I have enough seed of each of these that I could fill a few requests if anyone is interested.

By the way, S. galapagense was named by Sarah Darwin, great-great granddaughter of the famous naturalist.
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote