Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 14, 2018   #16
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I bought 2 corned beefs and put one in the freezer for later in the year.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

I have mmm, maybe 8 quarts corned beef left now, will be putting up some more while they are on sale at a lower price. I like corned beef in many ways, one is to have it cool with potato salad in the summer, or with a coleslaw.

One suggestion though - if anyone else cans up corned beef, it is a bit salty, so I rinse it off out of the package before I can it up, just to get rid of the gooey stuff and some of the saltiness.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Last I heard corned beef wasn't an Irish thing anyway.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #19
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Best part about corned beef is turning the leftovers into corned beef hash for breakfast. A big favorite of mine, and my way of gauging a restaurant that serves breakfast. Yum.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #20
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Worth is correct. The average Irishman used to live off ten pounds of potatoes each PER DAY. With the English land-owners they could not afford a herd. Those who could do so, might have one multipurpose cow per year that got sold to the land-owners. Exactly why so many died or immigrated during the potato disaster.Their Dexter cattle is a multipurpose breed for milk and beef, but about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of an Angus.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #21
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Last I heard corned beef wasn't an Irish thing anyway.
Yes, corned beef is an Irish American thing. Here the .most common St. Patrick's Day meat is boiled bacon. Although my family usually go out for Spanish tapas
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #22
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

From Wikipedia:
[In the mid-1800's]At this time Ireland produced large quantities of salted (corned) beef, almost all of it for export. The beef was packed into barrels to provision the British Navy, army, and merchant fleet. Corned beef became associated with the Irish in America where it was plentiful and used as a replacement for the bacon in bacon and cabbage. However, it was not traditional fare in Ireland.

Therefore, while it's not an Irish food, it's an Irish-American food. So we'll eat it in America for St. Patrick's Day but not in Ireland.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #23
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

I made corned venison with roasted potatoes ant brussels sprouts, not exactly traditional but delicious.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #24
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Worth is correct. The average Irishman used to live off ten pounds of potatoes each PER DAY. With the English land-owners they could not afford a herd. Those who could do so, might have one multipurpose cow per year that got sold to the land-owners. Exactly why so many died or immigrated during the potato disaster.Their Dexter cattle is a multipurpose breed for milk and beef, but about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of an Angus.

The Dexter is a nice manageable size. And dual purpose so commercial breeders have ignored it.

Couple farms around with BElted Galloways. One herd of Scotish Highlanders in VT, owner only checked once a week as he worked in the city. No one in right mind would enter the field with the bull out with his cows.

Last edited by Black Krim; March 14, 2018 at 06:10 PM.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Best part about corned beef is turning the leftovers into corned beef hash for breakfast. A big favorite of mine, and my way of gauging a restaurant that serves breakfast. Yum.

I forgot about corned beef hash...that I do like! It is the only way I'll eat corned beef, and only after asking the waitstaff if it's made from scratch. All too often these days the answer is either, "no, it's canned" or "it's from a can, but we add stuff to it." That's when I go back and reconsider my entire order.

Hmmm...may have to hit the post St. Paddy's sales and grab a piece of corned beef to cook up for some hash.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #26
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

When young, the only corned beef we ever had cane in a rectangular can guaranteed to draw blood when trying to unzip the top. My mother only knew to cook it with scrambled eggs.

What I would give for one of the corned beef or pastrami on rye stacked four inches thick in the Jewish delis in NYC with ONLY mustard..steamed. That was delicious! Hear many have closed.

So, tomorrow pastrami and kraut.

Will still eat CB &cabbage in honor of my long departed Irish grandmother with Guinness on draft!
Old March 14, 2018   #27
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlindHog View Post
I made corned venison with roasted potatoes ant brussels sprouts, not exactly traditional but delicious.
Like!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was raised on homemade corned beef from home grown beef.
Remembering my mother soaking the beef in the brine solution growing up.

I dont even want to get started on how much my heart goes out to the Irish due to the deeds of the English Devils.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #29
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Yep! I was in a bona fide Irish pub that was full of Irishmen...real Irishmen. When I mentioned that many of the Scots in my family lived in Ulster way back after being forced out of Scotland. They turned their heads with angry looks and demanded to know WHAT PART of Ulster. We finished our ales and bowed out! I didn't have a clue, but knew they were Anglicans.
Old March 14, 2018   #30
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I forgot about corned beef hash...that I do like! It is the only way I'll eat corned beef, and only after asking the waitstaff if it's made from scratch. All too often these days the answer is either, "no, it's canned" or "it's from a can, but we add stuff to it." That's when I go back and reconsider my entire order.
So true FD ;-) The only worst answer is "I don't know" (I only work here.)

All this talk about corned beef got me thinking that one of my next smoking (as in BBQ'ing) attempts could be a brisket. I'll wait for after the holiday and grab a couple of pieces if I find them on sale. I tried my first smoke on Monday (St Louis style spareribs) and it came out great. They say a brisket is the hardest meat to get right, requiring the longest time (~10 hrs+), low and slow.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote