Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Tomatopalooza™ event information and discussion forum. Held annually in the Raleigh-Durham, NC area.

Old July 22, 2011   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
By the way... Kristina Bulgarian is coming in at 31 oz.!!!

Not close to the Tomatopalooza[tm] record of > 64oz. but should be
enough to win tomorrow.....

Lee
Lee, when I saw Kristina Bulgarian, which is not the right name according to sic transit, it should be K Vatcheva ( I need to confirm for you that the t is or isnot there if you want me to), me wee heart went thump, crash b/c you know how much I love Bulgarian varieties,

And I knew that sic transit had sent the seeds to you but forgot that so how about setting a few seeds aside so I can have a couple of plants next year.

Normally I never ask for seed in a post but in this case I sent you several varieties so all I'm asking for is K.

And if you want me to cut and paste Sic transit's comments from elsewhere I can do that, so that you should know that it's Kristina Vatcheva, not Kristina Bulgarian.

Actually Ithink it's best if I send you a link to the whole thread, is not here, b'c there was some strong discussion between sic transit and another person about the proper name.

Best I PM it to you if you want me to.

Sic transit gloria and I were going communicate this Fall about it, but you're closer.

Edited to add that I just checked and it's Kristina Vatcheva.
Old July 22, 2011   #17
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Sending well wishes and happy thoughts your way for a successful event tomorrow!

I'm guessing that the tomatoes should probably taste pretty good considering the weather.

Looking forward to reading how the tasting went and also seeing the photos.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #18
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Oh yes, the photos!!! Always fun to check them all out
Old July 22, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Although I've already expressed my good wishes to both Lee and Craig and all their volunteers for a great get together tomorrow, I did that in a small group e-mail we have going for those growing out my new varieties for seed production if they come true to what they should be.

So now I want to express the same thoughts here, especially since Craig mentioned what the weather is supposed to be there tomorrow.

I hope everyone can stay as cool as possible and then get home ASAP to the AC.
Old July 22, 2011   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My plans for the day....wake early, water, pick anything I may have missed....grind coffee, breakfast, shower, pack car....the blur of the event.....try to register impressions, flavor, answer a lot of questions....drink water...drink water...drink water.....come home, shower - and out to dinner at air conditioned, delicious Cafe Capistrano!

I think the heat will make this one a bit of a wild card on guessing attendance. Last year the weather worked against us (rain threatened). This year the heat. Still....local newspaper (the Independent) will be there. We will be there. Tomatoes will be there. Some people from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange will be there with tomatoes!.....Martha will be there! Hoping for other unexpected drop ins - the event is always interesting, with always a hint of the unanticipated! And it will be fun....and the tomatoes should taste much better than last year (they already do!).
Old July 22, 2011   #21
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I see (from just entering Raleigh, NC) into Weather Underground that it's going to be 101 tomorrow. Ouch!

Stay cool! If I may make a suggestion, bring a couple of oscillating pole fans if you can - but do be sure to tape down the cords (with duct tape or such) so people don't trip on them.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My friend, who is a weather hobbyist - and attending! - thinks tomorrow could get into the 105 degree range because he notes that the core of the heat will be over us during the early afternoon...yikes!
Old July 22, 2011   #23
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Craig- The Lime Green Salad Sorbet will be there too!
Old July 22, 2011   #24
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Updated list -- all these are harvested and good to go!

Bringing:

Stupice
Garden Peach
Green Zebra
Tropic
Riesentraube
Australian Beeksteak
Arkansas Traveller
Illini Star
Cherokee Purple (from 1994 seedstock)
Yellow Brandywine
Amy's Apricot
Red Pisa Date
Abraham Lincoln

Hoping to bring (not sure yet, we think we harvested some, will look around in the morning):

Oxheart

We're looking forward to this a lot! Irena and I will be up early to make the drive... and praying that our car's AC doesn't give out on us!!!

Ken
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #25
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

So excited to experience my first Tomatopalooza! Although all my tomatoes are green, I will be bringing a couple loaves of bread to share.
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #26
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I found a nice Perth Pride (the one I had labeled to bring was pretty small - this is a 6 oz one), and two new ones - Maralinga, and a ripe (or nearly so) Sweet Sue. Also picked a small bag of Cossack Pineapple ground cherries, but they aren't yielding well yet
Old July 23, 2011   #27
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Have a great event and I am looking forward to seeing the results and pics.
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #28
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

What great fun that was! Thank you so much Lee, Craig and Lori for such a great time. I wish I had thanked you in person before leaving. it was hot, and my dearest daughter was done.

I have a favorite from the tasting - Stump of the World. And I really liked Lime Green Salad from the dwarf table. I wish I had started on the dwarf table, because by the time I got to the dwarves I could barely discern sweet from tart. I'll know better next year.

Thanks again for the event and encouragement!
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #29
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Melted Sue and melted me just arrived home! We drove through a torrential downpour on 440 (dropped the temp from 102 to 75)...alas we returned to a baking driveway of dry pots. Not a drop here.

Yes, a really nice event - we will start a separate thread on things.....but first, we have a date with Cafe Capistrano!
Old July 23, 2011   #30
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

So wonderful to be able to make the trip to Raleigh this year to reconnect with familiar friends and make a few new ones.

I pretty much hung out at the dwarf table or the bicolors and orange/yellow table but was able to sample just about everything. I'm not sure if the heat enhanced or detracted from some of the flavors, but there were many new tasty ones to be had.

Thank you Craig, Lee, and Lori & her logistical team, for all the hard work putting this event together.