Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 9, 2018   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Cream of the Crop Tomatoes

Serious tomato lovers are going to want to pay attention to what is going on Cream of the Crop Tomatoes.

They have a few varieties available, and I get the feeling that the pipeline is packed with new varieties that will be released soon.

For those of you who may not have made the connection, these are the tomatoes that Frogsleap Farm has been working on.

This is a fabulous collaboration that is producing great tomatoes and combining flavor and aesthetic with vigor, disease resistance and shelf-life extension!

Last edited by Fred Hempel; August 9, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #2
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred. Some of the available tomatoes look like Maglia.

Also, I noticed the increased disease resistance. Is bacterial wilt just harder to combat? Or, not as common as other diseases in tomatoes?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

https://awhaley.com/seeds/vegetables

Fred,I'll link to Aaron's Home Page as well, above, so folks can see what else he offers and how to buy them.

I'm so very Happy that Aaron left SSE to move north with his family to build up his company.

Another person who was dealing with Aaron was Linda Sapp of her TGSC company, sending him small amounts for commercial seed production.And she was very pleased.

And let's not forget that you as well were also interacting with Aaron as well and probably still are.

Linda sold her Co to a husband/wife team from CA, so whether or not Linda encourages them to do the same,well,we shall see.

Carolyn
Old August 9, 2018   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

He definitely deserves the business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
https://awhaley.com/seeds/vegetables

Fred,I'll link to Aaron's Home Page as well, above, so folks can see what else he offers and how to buy them.
Old August 9, 2018   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Fred, have you tasted these yet? Anyone else?

I often see tomatoes described as doing 'well in greenhouse or field', but never see how it pertains to being grown in a container (other than patio tomatoes). Which is more applicable? container growing is definitely not field growing and more likely that greenhouse tomatoes are grown in a container.

TIA
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I don't know much about bacterial wilt, probably because I don't think I have encountered it.

It looks like there are a couple of somewhat resistant cultivars, but it is very difficult to control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Thanks Fred. Some of the available tomatoes look like Maglia.

Also, I noticed the increased disease resistance. Is bacterial wilt just harder to combat? Or, not as common as other diseases in tomatoes?

Jeff
Old August 9, 2018   #7
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip Fred.

I'll probably order E33-F1 and have it run my insect gauntlet/garden.

The other high Brix OP looked mighty interesting too.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #8
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I am growing 5 of their 6 releases this year. They were out of stock of one, otherwise I would have grown all 6.

Ironically, E33-F1 is the only one to succumb both plants I planted this year. The other 4 are all doing well, with 6M56-2-OP being really stellar. I have 3 of them all doing very well with robust plants and good production. The others are making it OK in my harsh conditions, but 6x20-6A-OP is not presenting as it was represented on the AP Whaley site. My fruit are GWR, very similar to Lucky Tiger and Mark M's 3C3 he shared with me a few years ago, whereas the tomato is supposed to be burgundy with bold green stripes.

The picture shows 3C3 on the left and 6X20-6A-OP on the right as I am growing them this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frogsleap 3C3 and 6x4 2 3A OP.jpg (525.0 KB, 431 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #9
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
6x20-6A-OP

I hope that was just a seed mix-up as I was going to purchase that same variety (along with 6X5-2-OP).

I'd love to see pictures of the other varieties, if it's not too much trouble.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tasted these yet, but a friend is growing them, so I will be tasting them later this season.

My recommendation is based on previous interactions with the principles and I think they are both brilliant at operating at the interface between exciting and practical. I have worked with them and have the utmost respect for what they are doing. I have tasted other Frogsleap varieties, and they are very good. For those who don't know, we worked with Frogsleap Farm for a few years and I can only hope they got a fraction of the benefit that we got from working with them.
Old August 10, 2018   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I still have a few seeds for 3C3, will have to grow it next year.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #12
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred for posting the site. I enjoyed looking through. Does anyone know why the cream of the crop tomatoes are identified by numbers rather than names? Are these still trials in progress?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #13
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Does anyone know why the cream of the crop tomatoes are identified by numbers rather than names?

Those were/are the internal codes for those particular varieties... and nobody has gotten around to giving them 'proper' names yet - or, if they have, they have yet to update the website.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #14
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any 6X5-2-OP or E33-F1 pictures. 6X5-2-OP is just now setting and ripening, and E33-F1 plants died, but here's a picture of 6M56-2-OP, 6X20-6A-OP (off type). I'll have to pick some 6X4-2-3A-OP and take a picture later. There are a couple of Stupice and Amish Gold in the upper right hand corner of the pic that you can disregard.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #15
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

The E33 had a long holding time on or off of the vine. The 6x4-2-3A OP was very bushy. Both lines tasted great and weathered the disease and pest pressures as well or better than every other variety.

Whippoorwill Gardens

Last edited by WhippoorwillG; August 11, 2018 at 04:05 PM.
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote