Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 10, 2006   #1
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Default Idiots

I had a tree taken down today and the idiot running the chain saw dropped a maple tree on an entire tray of tomato seedlings hardening off. Seventeen seedlings -- everything I had -- were in that tray.

I waded into the fray once I saw what he had done -- did he not SEE there was a tray of seedlings RIGHT THERE? Did he not even BOTHER to check to see if he was dropping this tree ON SOMETHING -- and pulled all of them out. One (Red Penna, received this weekend at the CHOPTAG share) was completely beheaded. A couple had their heads cut off. A few -- the smaller seedlings -- look just a bit bedgraggled. Fortunately Earl's 4-foot Kimberly just got knocked over and looks fine, but ARRGH!

I'm going to keep them all and see if they'll recover, of course, but honestly.

Val

Anyone think the worst of them will recover?
valereee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006   #2
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I've seen tomatoes recover from quite a lot over the years. I suspect by now you already know what will and won't recover though.
Old May 26, 2006   #3
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Holly, well, I went ahead and planted them all. The Red Penna, which was among the worst off, has a teensy little growth starting on its poor bare stump. The others are all a bit better off. The ones that weren't injured are of course taking off completely.

But I've learned my lesson. Idiots are definitely among the worst garden pests, and I won't let them near my transplants ever again.
Old May 26, 2006   #4
hedwarr
Tomatovillian™

Valereee, not trying to be insulting here but, if you were aware of the tree guys coming, how come you just did'nt move your seedlings to a safer location?
hedwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006   #5
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Hedwarr, I thought I had -- I moved the tray next to the fence, thinking that was plenty of room. Maybe I'm the idiot!

Val
Old May 31, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Val,

No, you're not the idiot. If you moved the tray up next to a fence and the tree cutters dropped the tree that close, then they were risking damage to the fence right? They are the idiots!

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote