Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old October 31, 2015   #1
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Default I Need To Eat Healthy !

I'm NOT a good cook, and I don't enjoy cooking. So, that means a cookie and a Coke for breakfast, leftover store pizza for lunch, you get the idea.
I KNOW I won't fuss over making better things to eat, so how about some super easy and fast fruit and vegetable ideas?
I don't like sour cream, mayonnaise, creamed anything, seafood, fish, meat or creamed corn. Other than these I'm OK.
I have to confess that I never ever feel well, am usually very stiff from uric acid build up and arthritis so I'm thinking that eating healthier may help how I feel?
There's absolutely no point in asking me to give up Coke!
Thanks!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You need to give up sodas and I can show and or tell you how to do it.

Okay I was just teasing.
Are you a vegetarian?
And if so to what limit?
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Deb, first get checked out. You need a MD to decide if it is just diet. Eat healthy anyway.

Whole grains , for instance Oatnut Bread and a healthy margarine, like Smart Balance. Whole wheat is not whole grain. It will take some getting used to taste wise.Every morning I have a few slices with natural peanut butter (bought at a local grocery next to the Jif corn solid junk). Whole grain pasta, whole grain waffle or pancake.

Chicken breast pan fried takes less than 10 minutes. Put olive oil on the bottom of the pan and some Ms. Dash on top. More whole grain and a bag salad maybe? More whole grain bread too

My treats are Kashi Bars. Low in sugar high in fiber and many varieties can sastisfy a chocoholic like myself.

Do you like eggs ?

- Lisa

greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #4
Deborah

I eat chicken breast once in awhile. But deli fried. Sigh...
I do have a doctor and it's from blood tests that I know about the uric acid stiffness thing.
Whole grains are out of the question-I'll leave out the reason... I used to love Raisin Bran and in fact was looking at a box of it wistfully at the store today.
What's that roasted vegetable thing, olive oil and in the oven?
How do you make zucchini noodles? What's that half a squash with maple syrup and butter in the middle? See, what I mean? I'm not only not into cooking-I'm clueless.
Old October 31, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I agree--see a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on first.

And yes, peanut butter on some form of whole grain bread, English Muffin, waffle, etc. is a great suggestion for breakfast. If you really feel you need some sweetness, drizzle a little raw honey over the peanut butter--much better than a sugar based jam or jelly. Peanut butter spread on apple wedges is also a nice treat. Or on a banana.

For daytime snacks, how do you feel about nuts? I buy bags of nut varieties I like at some place like Trader Joe's (either unsalted or 50% less salt) and make my own mixed nut blend, then toss a good handful into a snack size ziplock.

And ditch the soda if you can. If not, at least go with diet if you're currently drinking regular.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #6
Deborah

Nuts have the same uh-oh effect as whole grains do. Yes, it's diet Coke. I rarely drink water. I have: Diabetes Type II, gout (from years of BP meds), hypothyroidism, hypertension, osteo-arthritis, a really bad back and sometimes the stiffness attacks and I'm creaking around like an old lady. It's like sheesh, where do I start?
Old October 31, 2015   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Deborah, I mean this in the nicest possible way. Do you really think you will change your habits formed for a lifetime?
Many here can tell you the way to do easy lifestyle changes, but you are the only one who can actually do them.

Roasted veggies, cut up whatever veggies you like, they all work. Line your baking pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Toss them lightly with olive or peanut oil, a little fresh cracked pepper, a small sprinkle of salt, then into a 425 oven for 20 minutes on the top shelf, toss them, and back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

I always add butternut squash to my roasted veggies for potato like texture and sweetness, and a bulb of Fennel cut up to give it a mild flavor, and help seasoning the veggies.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=32603

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2007/march/the-non-cooks-guide-to-eating-well

Here are a couple of articles that might give you some ideas. Real food: fruit, vegetables, dairy, cereals, healthy grains and lean protein can all be a part of a diet with minimal need for cooking skills. The deli area in the grocery store is a good place to start. frozen foods and canned can also be healthy options for non cooks.

eating healthy and dieting are not the same thing at all. Making healthy choices in your foods will make a big difference for several of your medical conditions. I agree a Doctor appointment to discuss is a great place to begin. If diabetic classes or a referral to a dietician by your doctor is an option that would be a great resource as well.
Also, eat lots of tomatoes!
Best wishes,
KarenO

Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to stick my foot in the water here and if it gets hot I will say I'm sorry and leave,
You are a nice person and I dont want you to be mad at me.
You may think I am as big as a house on BP medication and have high blood sugar by the food I cook but I dont.

Now here we go.
Diet cokes are just as bad if not worse than real cokes and will make people gain weight.
You need to drink at least 2 liters of water every day more if you are outside evaporating or in an arid climate.
I also think or know you smoke I do too, not gonna go there.
If you dont drink hardly any water then my guess is you drink a lot of cokes.

Any good doctor or PA will tell you, you need to drink water there is no substitute for it.
The more salt and caffeine you take in or drink the more water you need to drink.
You also cant buy your way to good health you are going to have to either learn and like to cook and make healthy food or find someone that will do it for you.

I'm going to leave it at that so you can take these good peoples advice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #10
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Actually I'm jumping in because I need to make some changes too. I didn't quit smoking until 5 years ago when I began choking and gagging for no reason, except of course the couple packs a day habit. I have recently got rid of all soda except occasionally, trying to cut back on salty foods like frozen pizza and convenience food. I love cheese. Everything is better with cheese but now my cholesterol is way high. I have several things going on otherwise I'd go on eating just as I do, enchiladas, pizza, etc. I'm going to be making soup as I used to. Handy to have around, good to freeze quick to thaw and eat and if you don't put too much cheese on it, a pretty healthy food. I got some turkey wings at the store as I'm sure they will make good stock and a lot cheaper than chicken wings but you can buy pretty good broth now at the store.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Do you want to lose weight? You didn't say. If so, I think carbohydrate restriction is the easiest way. Regardless, healthy fats and naturally occurring fiber are your friends. Eat all you like of them. Bright colors tend to be loaded with antioxidants.

Processed food is the problem in almost everyone's diet, especially refined carbs. And I agree with Worth about the diet coke. There are a million different teas out there. You can have any of them iced or hot. I drink coffee in the mornings, iced in the hot summer and hot the rest of the year, with a little coconut oil instead of sugar. If you have to eat sugar, blackstrap molasses is good stuff. You get a lot of flavor with the sweetness.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #12
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I agree with the others that you should consult with your dr first and get some advice about where to go to get ideas about what you can eat. Since you have so many health issues, I am sure you have been to quite a few doctors and have gotten pamphlets etc.

You can Google "diet for diabetes gout hypertension etc" and see links for ideas. It is endless what is out there, you know its out there, you just have to decide to do it and try it.

Sun City Linda had an excellent idea about soup! Soups are easy, you can throw in any kinds of veggies that you want, and they are filling, nutritious, and(obviously) full of liquids, which you need. Soups and salads are the easiest ways to eat vegetables. Fruits can be eaten raw, juiced, baked, or stewed. If you really hate to be in the kitchen, your local markets should offer pre-cut and packaged produce and you can just add them to packaged low-sodium broths. Empty your pantry and fridge of your sodas and "bad" foods so you won't be tempted.

Your health is your #1 priority and you are worth it girl! We want you around for many years to come and that's why we are all posting here for you.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #13
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I agree with all the comments... In the nicest way possible, too. We are all wanting the best for you, but we can't do it for you. only you can make the changes and stick with them. Please please please get rid of the soda pop. It is terrible stuff for you it is ruining your bones and teeth. I haven't been to the doctor in years and I do mean years... I probably should go but I feel like it is such an invasion of my privacy...nor do I like to be touched by strangers.so I am the last person to tell you about the doctor, but we are what we eat.

right now I am not going to any great length to cook since my kitchen is in pieces...

last nights supper was soup here. It took me an hour or so to make it for a whole family, but you could freeze the left overs in pint jars to take out and thaw . I sauteed the celery and carrots in butter, but you should probably use coconut oil, sprinkled a huge handful of dried garlic in the water then dumped my vegetables in. I ground up some ham I had in the fridge and pressure cooked it for 1/2 hour. Then I poured in about 1 1/2 cups of lentils and simmered it for 1/2 hours tops.

Healthy and it was tasty. It just needed salt and pepper to each persons taste. the left overs are going to work with my daughter today.

And along with the gout... follow a gout restrictions diet.

Start by using basic ingredients.

I know anything that comes premade is easy, but that doesn't make it a good choice to fuel our bodies or keep it working efficiently. I wish you lived closer... come and eat with us anytime. some nights are pretty basic though... raw vegetables on the table, too.

Last edited by clkeiper; November 1, 2015 at 07:44 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #14
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Hi Deborah... seems to me, like you've started a lifestyle change; well done.

There's some sound advice from some good people here.

Best of luck, good health, and happy days!!!

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

My guess is with your reliance on convenience food and dislike of meat and fish that you are usually low on protein. Beans are very good for you and very easy. You can buy a can of them most places for a dollar. Just rinse them first as they are full of salts. Add them to soups or salads. Peas are also a protein source and good frozen or dried. Its easy and quick to make split pea soup from the instructions on a bag of dried peas but if your not going to add any meat I would use chicken stock to add flavor. I think you can also purchase pea soup ready made. I sometimes make a meal of peppers sautéed in olive oil, add garlic or garlic salt a few slices of cheddar cheese and pile it all over a slice of sourdough bread.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote