Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 5, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandymaster Pink?

Here is another question about "has anyone grown this?"

In this case Brandymaster Pink. Another variety by Seeds by Design, I believe. Interesting web site and varieties -- quite a few I've not heard of before, including some "Containers Choice" varieties of different colors than the red I've grown in the past.

The "goto" variety of this Brandywine Hybrid type seems to be Brandy Boy, but it does only so-so for me, producing lots of really odd-looking fruit (but that still taste very good).

Is Brandymaster uniform and good-looking as described and shown? To me, a tomato should grow good, taste good, and look good -- all three.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; November 5, 2018 at 06:43 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I've only had experience with Brandymaster Red, which was bland.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(To me, a tomato should grow good, taste good, and look good -- all three.)

I agree, but in addition to what you listed,I'd add decent yield. And depending on where a person lives and the weather in any one season, well,there is that as well in terms of variable results in different years.

Throughout my so called tomato growing years I've grown very few F1 hybrids, with some exceptions, and did that only when I was told to do so.

Summary?

I usually grow,or have grown for me, OP varieties, it doesn't matter to me if they are heirlooms or not although I do confess that I prefer family type ones with a good history. In the past decade or so some very talented,sometimes called amateur Breeders, and wrongly so IMO, have appeared and introduced some wonderful varieties..

And I am NOT one who will EVER be convinced that ANY F1 hybrid is superior to an OP whether the F1 is supposed to yield more, be more tolerant,no such thing as total resistance, to this or that part of a plant whether they be RKN's, Fusarium, BER, better taste etc.,etc.etc.

That's my position on on this issue after having grown now way over 5,000 different tomato varieties, and still counting, and will still be counting until I'm just somewhere up there in the sky in Tomato Heaven..

Each to their own opinions,of course, always.

Carolyn
Old November 5, 2018   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Container's Choice was probably the worst tasting tomato I have ever grown. If you are growing in containers, check out the varieties from the dwarf project. There are a few other tasty op/heirloom dwarfs too.

There are plenty of non hybrid brandywines that you can try. Many people here seem to have a favorite. Although it is not a brandywine, I like Rebel Yell as a large pink. Crinkovic Yugoslav is excellent too.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Container's Choice was probably the worst tasting tomato I have ever grown. If you are growing in containers, check out the varieties from the dwarf project. There are a few other tasty op/heirloom dwarfs too.

There are plenty of non hybrid brandywines that you can try. Many people here seem to have a favorite. Although it is not a brandywine, I like Rebel Yell as a large pink. Crynkovic Yugoslav is excellent too.
Call me compulsive or not,but here's how Crykovic Yugoslavian is spelled and the history behind it.

Yasha also gave me seeds for several other varieties as well,from that same area.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Crnkovic_Yugoslavian

Carolyn , who hopes the above helps.
Old November 5, 2018   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I doubted I got that right. Verizon has now decided to charge extra for usb tethering, which is plugging my phone into my pc for Internet access, so I am stuck on my phone. All my tomato info is on my computer.
Old November 5, 2018   #7
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

@Cole_Robbie-
I've probably grown a couple dozen varieties from the Dwarf Project. Some good ones, and quite a few that were just so-so for me. I've grown Containers Choice Red only a few times, and it actually did quite well here. From memory -- determinate, but a strong, mostly upright grower. Most definitely not the worst tomato I've ever grown.

@ Nan PA 6b-
Thanks for the info about Brandymaster Red, but still hopeful that someone has grown the pink.

Last edited by Greatgardens; November 5, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2018   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I wonder if two people on here can buy the seed of the same name, but get totally different things. Seed companies dont exactly face real penalties for mislabelling. I wish I could remember where I got that seed, but I can't. I grew it in a container in my greenhouse, next to an early girl. The early girl was great, and the containers choice grew well, but the tomatoes were like sand on the inside, mealy and not good at all. Maybe I didnt have the same thing as you.