Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 23, 2019   #31
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

Well Thanks Amazon for taking so long for Daconil -a sad plant with 2 fruits coming to an end. Man was it hot though. I wonder if it makes any sense to not tear down this plant in hopes of those two fruits.

I finally sprayed Daconil for the first time last night.

As I was spraying, I noticed lots of small brown spots on this plant. New disease? Canker? I really hope not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4774.jpg (440.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4783.jpg (361.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4784 2.jpg (362.3 KB, 53 views)
Old July 23, 2019   #32
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

Also, I was curious if these Borage leaves could be transferring disease to my babbies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-19 1614.jpg (234.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 07-23 1018_1.jpg (238.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 07-23 1018.jpg (339.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 07-23 1019.jpg (356.9 KB, 52 views)
Old July 23, 2019   #33
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I have fungal issues every year. Cool humid weather in the spring is my primary culprit because it seems to promote fungal growth. I sometimes use anti fungal products on my plants and they do seem to slow the fungus down, but I don't believe it kills the different fungus's.

The approach I use is to apply the anti fungus products according to instructions and remove the infected parts of plants ASAP. I do not touch healthy plants with my hands after touching infected parts without washing my hands first. I do lose a few plants, but I replace the dead plants with new plants in the same spot. When the weather changes to drier and warmer, my plants seem to recover and produce well.

My garden seems to hibernate in the hottest part of summer, staying alive; but not growing and not producing. When the first breath of cooler air arrives in late summer and the sun seems to not be so hot, my plants start growing, blooming, and producing again. I rarely have any fungal problems in the fall so long as cool, cloudy weather doesn't persist.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2019   #34
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Don
Old July 26, 2019   #35
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

I did a lot of more spacing out of plants following Craig’s advice. Quarantined some really bad plants on the other side of the patio. I guess i’m Getting a lesson on cleaning shears between punings. Do you spray the pruning blade with bleach each time and wipe with paper towels?

The plant with the speck/spot disease was sprayed with daconil then diluted h2o2. The hydrogen Peroxide seemed to help but the after the second spray of h2o2 the leaves were black/brownish like painted om.

On some leaves it appears the h2o2 caused the branch to wilt, which may just be the disease. I really hate tomato disease.
Old July 27, 2019   #36
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

If you used Daconil first aren't you just washing it off by using H202 afterwards? I hope that you are not killing your plants with all of these treatments.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #37
Guavatone
Tomatovillian™

Not on the same day. Daconil on Saturday/Sunday then H2o2 Monday .

I was finally happy to see some marked improvement and orange fruit ninja n larger tomatoes.

I tried the past few prunings to be more meticulous about washing hands from plant to plant