Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 6, 2015   #61
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

wow! have they ever grown again!
I think they will be bigger than a cherry judging from the length of the sepals but still small, something like between a cherry and a cocktail tomato. very round so far. This is so fun to watch from a distance cannot wait to see a ripe one! I am still feeling it won't be orange for some reason, can't say why I think that, it's just a feeling and I may well be wrong. It doesn't matter though, it is definitely a cross, very different from the mama AG.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2015   #62
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I haven't looked at this thread for a little while, and holy cow! Did they grow fast. Marsha, what size pots do you start them in, and when do you pot them up? I usually start mine in a 3"round container and keep them in it until plant out, simply because I don't have much room under the lights and it's too cold here to put them outside. They aren't usually potbound, but when I see plants like yours I can't help but wonder if I should be doing it differently.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2015   #63
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
I haven't looked at this thread for a little while, and holy cow! Did they grow fast. Marsha, what size pots do you start them in, and when do you pot them up? I usually start mine in a 3"round container and keep them in it until plant out, simply because I don't have much room under the lights and it's too cold here to put them outside. They aren't usually potbound, but when I see plants like yours I can't help but wonder if I should be doing it differently.
I think the best way to tell you is to start with post # 7. These were extra special seeds, so they got the royal treatment. paper towel moistened, seeds enclosed, all in a plastic baggie to be able to exactly see when they sprouted. After the first little radicle(root tip) started to show, they were sown very gently in a cell of a 72 cell seed starting tray, using Miracle Gro Seed Starting potting mix. They were left until they has a full set of first true leaves, and the beginnings of a second. Then transplanted deeply to 4" pots using Promix BX with a pinch of Tomato Maker organic fertilizer, they were about 2 weeks old when that took place. Left there until about 5&1/2 weeks old, in full sun about 8 hrs/day. When they were 7-8" tall, final potting using Promix BX with dolomite lime, about a cup per 7 gallon potful, and about 1/2 cup of Tomato Tone also mixed throughout. So you see where they are now.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2015   #64
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Awesome thread, KarMa! I've been following every post. The progress is impressive. LOVE the recap on how to optimally grow out seedlings. All newbies -me- would benefit from this.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #65
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Time for some new pictures... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #66
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Time for some new pictures... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I need to get out there and start a whole thread on my garden. I know, I know! Still recuperating, I had thyroid surgery last Thursday, but I am starting to feel really good again.
Old November 10, 2015   #67
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Rest get back to 100%. I imagine you have been pretty sore. Pics will keep and the plants will just get bigger and bloomier in the meantime
Take care you
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #68
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think the best way to tell you is to start with post # 7. These were extra special seeds, so they got the royal treatment. paper towel moistened, seeds enclosed, all in a plastic baggie to be able to exactly see when they sprouted. After the first little radicle(root tip) started to show, they were sown very gently in a cell of a 72 cell seed starting tray, using Miracle Gro Seed Starting potting mix. They were left until they has a full set of first true leaves, and the beginnings of a second. Then transplanted deeply to 4" pots using Promix BX with a pinch of Tomato Maker organic fertilizer, they were about 2 weeks old when that took place. Left there until about 5&1/2 weeks old, in full sun about 8 hrs/day. When they were 7-8" tall, final potting using Promix BX with dolomite lime, about a cup per 7 gallon potful, and about 1/2 cup of Tomato Tone also mixed throughout. So you see where they are now.
Wow, thank you, Marsha, for sharing your methods in so much detail. I appreciate you sharing your recipe for success, so to speak.

Sorry you had to have surgery! I am very glad you're feeling better.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2015   #69
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am feeling very well today, even went to the gym and did the bike for 1/2 hour, so I thought it was time for an update. First photo, whole plant, and both are day 59 from sowing seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (357.7 KB, 297 views)
Old November 12, 2015   #70
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Fruit forming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (267.9 KB, 295 views)
Old November 12, 2015   #71
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Newer truss with fruit same plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (260.9 KB, 296 views)
Old November 12, 2015   #72
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Next whole plant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (311.6 KB, 295 views)
Old November 12, 2015   #73
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Fruit truss doing nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (242.3 KB, 300 views)
Old November 12, 2015   #74
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Newer fruit truss doing well too. Karen, I think I will be able to send you F2s in December if this keeps up! Heee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (243.0 KB, 298 views)
Old November 13, 2015   #75
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Your growth is amazing..! What do you use for your potting mix and watering / nutrient mix schedule..?
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote