Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2007   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default " Blue Andes"

Any info on Blue Andes would be appreciated- why is it called blue, or any photo's as I have no idea what it looks like or plant habit etc, it sounds a very interesting plant even though a bit scarce to obtain, my seedlings of it are growing and looking healthy in their third leaf stage.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I know of Blue Fruit, aka Blaufruct, and also the variety Blue, but not Blue Andes.

What did your source have to say about it?

Blue is originally from Estonia and of course is not blue, it's described as PL, with fruit colors ranging from dark smoky red to greyish to maroon, etc., as described by various SSE members who have grown it.

Blaufruct, which I've grown, is about the same as regards fruit colors.
Old April 5, 2007   #3
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

If I haven't told you already, here is some information about Blue Andes. I gave you the seeds for it. (I'm glad it's growing out well for you. Seed is nice and fresh.)

I grew Andes (a.k.a. Andine Cornue, Cornue des Andes, Andes Horn) in 2005 (seed source was Underwood Gardens). One of the plants had blue-green (not medium green) foliage, and I set it aside. I think this plant also had blockier (not as pointed) red fruit, and I thought it was good. So I called it Blue Andes and saved seed from it.

That's it!

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2007   #4
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks-to both of you for the info.

The plants are growing well at the moment and I am hoping for a good crop eventualy-it sounds an interesting plant-so I shall look forward to the results.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

One of the plants had blue-green (not medium green) foliage, and I set it aside. I think this plant also had blockier (not as pointed) red fruit, and I thought it was good. So I called it Blue Andes and saved seed from it.

Do you think it's possibly now a hybrid and needs dehybridizing? I ask only b'c you mention two changes, foliage color and fruit shape, and that wouldn't be typical of a spontaneous mutation.

Maybe best not to name something until you know it's genetically stable. I dunno, but it would make it difficult if something called Blue Andes got distributed around when it wasn't stable.

As is said, time will tell.
Old April 9, 2007   #6
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

You are right, "time will tell" and for now Blue Andes will be the "working title" for this variety.

The plant grown in 2006 resembled the parent plant of 2005, so I will keep an eye on it for about four more generations and see what comes up.

As far as "Mr. Mango/Mr. Potato Leaf" is concerned (this is the plant from the stray seed I found in an Amishland Heirloom Seeds mailing envelope): apparently this one is still in the process of segregating. When I grew it out last year (two plants) I had two different types of fruit from it: round and bland, and flat and flavorful. The second type was the same as the fruit from the parent plant, so I saved seed from that.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote