Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 23, 2011   #1
surf4grrl
Tomatovillian™

Default Nursery license etc.

I'm wondering how many growers here have to go through state procedures etc?

There's quite few in where I am - insurance, licensing and whatnot - my farm policy includes some personal liability so it almost doubled - they wouldn't write it without it.

Some of the markets don't require it - but for leasing land etc, they do -

Has anyone else had a ton of regulatory stuff they had to do on a yearly basis?
surf4grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011   #2
Chris_NH
Tomatovillian™

No, and I have no plans to beg some bureaucrat's permission to make a living. If they want to use threats or violence against me for acting like a free man in the "land of the free" then I suppose that's up to them.
Chris_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Unless you are selling thousands of plants, I'd stick with ignorance unless you want to go broke before you start.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011   #4
Iochroma
Tomatovillian™

Getting a nursery license in California and Oregon is very easy and relatively cheap: $150 in California for a small place; more depending on how much acreage one has. No big deal for me.
Iochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2011   #5
bigmeanmamma
Tomatovillian™

In Indiana I haven't heard of any nursery type regulations. The board of Health is another story. If your kid wants to have a lemonade stand its illegal. My children have become outlaws and sell it anyway. Most of the dumb rules are never enforced around here.
bigmeanmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2011   #6
whistler
Tomatovillian™

In PA the nursery / greenhouse license is only $40 a year. Plus, you get to be listed in the state's online nursery database. Not a bad deal...
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2011   #7
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

In Kentucky a nursery license is not required for annuals, so you can sell vegetable and annual flowers. You also do not have to have a special licence to sell produce but if you want to offer samples there is a class you have to take that I believe is free or very low cost and you also must have clean water available to rinse or wash the raw vegetables, knives, and hands with in accordance to the recommendations that are taught in the class.