Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2016   #46
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

There will be 7 (not 6) categories for peppers...
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #47
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

And the list keeps going
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #48
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

When can we begin to post 'spoilers', aka varieties we're planning to send in?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #49
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

There won't be a Spoiler Alert for "planning on sending in" varieties. Plans can go wrong. Once people have seed in unspillable condition (go ahead, ask me about spillable condition) then there will be a SA.
Old July 20, 2016   #50
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

There will be 7 1/2 (not 7) categories for peppers.

Hybrids will be half a category for now, and much dependent on what comes in.
Old July 20, 2016   #51
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Tormanto, I'm excited about this swap but I have a few questions (hopefully not too stupid).
I grow an Italian tomato that does not appear on your grand wish list... I'll probably be able to send you 10 envelopes of seeds for this one and I think growers will like it but I don't grow anything else that I think would be of interest. I see some on your list I would like to try. Will I be able to participate? And, how can I add my variety to the list? Thank you
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #52
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

rhoder, I can sponsor you for the tomato/pepper swap. I have some extra dwarf seedlings too if you want to pick it up.

Send me a pm. Can't send you message from my end.

Last edited by Aerial; July 20, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #53
braybright

The list is of varieties participants are wishing for, not necessarily what will be distributed. So you don't need to put your Italian tomato on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoder551 View Post
Tormanto, I'm excited about this swap but I have a few questions (hopefully not too stupid).
I grow an Italian tomato that does not appear on your grand wish list... I'll probably be able to send you 10 envelopes of seeds for this one and I think growers will like it but I don't grow anything else that I think would be of interest. I see some on your list I would like to try. Will I be able to participate? And, how can I add my variety to the list? Thank you
Old July 21, 2016   #54
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoder551 View Post

If you mean the google.doc as the "grand wish list", that list is just barely started. By mid-late October it should have 700-1000 varieties listed. PM me the variety name. There are about 4-5 ultra-common Italian varieties that make for an oversupply in the swap.

And, that list is for you listing what varieties you would like, your wish list combined with all participant's wish lists. The MMMM Spoiler Alert (no thread yet) will be for listing what participants send in.
Old July 21, 2016   #55
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
There won't be a Spoiler Alert for "planning on sending in" varieties. Plans can go wrong. Once people have seed in unspillable condition (go ahead, ask me about spillable condition) then there will be a SA.
OK I see the point. Mail shipments can also go wrong (and have), but I hope most seeds make it safely to you and to the recipients..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #56
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

This post is for mailing "rules".

BUBBLE MAILERS - Most participants are requested to use bubble mailers. A size "0" ( 6" X 9") is best for tomatoes/peppers and small flower, fruit, veggie seed, with maybe a few small packs of beans. Size "000" may be too small, since you may be receiving back more than you sent in. Bubble mailers will be recycled, with your bubble mailer likely going back to you. Of course, the "0" is not large enough for some donations. With some international participants, a further discussion will be needed to see how many packs of seeds they would like. Using "greeting cards" instead of bubble mailers saves a lot on postage costs.

LABELING - If you're taping on a label (or using a peel and stick) make sure it is secure. Good quality (heavy duty) clear packing tape is the only thing I use. Low quality clear packing tape is OK for labels, but tears easily. It's not great for sealing packages, unless several layers are used. "Transparent" (1/2" or 3/4 ") tape can be a disaster.

POSTAGE - Domestic postage is $2.54 for up to three ounces, $2.74 for up to 4 ounces, $2.94 for up to 5 ounces. Many, if not most, MMMM packages will likely be under 3 ounces (I think). Putting the return postage ( cash/stamps only) in your bubble mailer before anything else goes in, makes it easier to not forget it.

Those participating in the Bean/Pea/Other Legume swap by itself, or with the MMMM, will likely be using Flat Rate padded envelopes ($6.80 postage last time I looked).

Next will be your paper send-in and wish list.
Old July 21, 2016   #57
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
rhoder, I can sponsor you for the tomato/pepper swap. I have some extra dwarf seedlings too if you want to pick it up.

Send me a pm. Can't send you message from my end.

Thank you, Ariel... that is nice of you. I'll send you a PM but it might take me a bit since I'm new to this forum and still figuring out all the gadgets and gizmos....
Old July 21, 2016   #58
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
If you mean the google.doc as the "grand wish list", that list is just barely started. By mid-late October it should have 700-1000 varieties listed. PM me the variety name. There are about 4-5 ultra-common Italian varieties that make for an oversupply in the swap.

And, that list is for you listing what varieties you would like, your wish list combined with all participant's wish lists. The MMMM Spoiler Alert (no thread yet) will be for listing what participants send in.
I'll PM you the name of the tomato... Thank you
Old July 21, 2016   #59
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by braybright View Post
The list is of varieties participants are wishing for, not necessarily what will be distributed. So you don't need to put your Italian tomato on there.
Thank you for the information...
Old July 22, 2016   #60
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!! Sign me up! I will hopefully have enough seeds to sponsor someone else also since you all so kindly sponsored me last year!!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote