Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2017   #46
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I just checked the weather forecast:

FRIDAY: sunny
SATURDAY: mostly sunny, w/ 10% chance of precipitation.

Got to do it morrow morning after the dew has evaporated.
Fleas are worse than grasshoppers. My beans ( leaves ) are perforated like a coarse colander. .

UPDATE:
Just an hour ago I made a 1 1/2 gallon solution of Sevin and sprayed my SISTERS garden.
Interestingly, As I was reading the booklet on the bottle , they said that it works on stink bugs too. Woohoo. I drink to that.
I mainly sprayed the soil/mulch not so much the plants except for the beans. I want to kill them not just deter them.
Permethrin is better at killing fleas than Sevin and it is also better at killing stink bugs and it has the added advantage of a very short waiting time after spraying before you can harvest. To get rid of stink bugs if they are bad you will have to spray the plants.
If you only have a few you can spend an hour or so every day inspecting the plants closely and spot spray just the stink bugs when you find them with a mix of Dawn and Permethrin. That is what I have been doing for the past few weeks and I have been able to hold them back for now; but eventually they will get the upper hand if they do like they have the last few years.

Bill
Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #47
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill.
The other day that I was at Lowes, I asked for Permethrin. But they didn't have it.
They had DE ( powder ? )in a bag. I read the active ingredients : It was mostly silica.
The I googled and here is what I learned:

Quote:
Diatomaceous earth is made from the fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms. Their skeletons are made of a natural substance called silica. Over a long period of time, diatoms accumulated in the sediment of rivers, streams, lakes, and oceans. Today, silica deposits are mined from these areas.

My Stink Bug problem, is not that bad I cannot even find one. But they keep sucking the juice from couple of beefsteak variety that is ripening.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks Bill.
The other day that I was at Lowes, I asked for Permethrin. But they didn't have it.
They had DE ( powder ? )in a bag. I read the active ingredients : It was mostly silica.
The I googled and here is what I learned:

My Stink Bug problem, is not that bad I cannot even find one. But they keep sucking the juice from couple of beefsteak variety that is ripening.

Lowes is not the best place to find some things. I just went out a couple of days ago to a farm supply store and got a quart of 10% Permethrin by Hi Yield that is for livestock and vegetable gardens. It only cost me 18 dollars and should last for a few years unless I have another summer of spider mites like last year.

You can get food grade DE online fairly cheaply if you shop a bit. I bought a 50 lb bag of high quality food grade DE several years ago for a very reasonable price and the supplier had lots of different sizes available. I went with the large bag because I use it around all my structures for fleas and roaches and have been using it as a dust and as a spray in the garden. I think you really want to get the food grade because it is so fine and goes into solution in water very easily and is very low in silica content.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #49
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Winning (for now)

They show up every year. They started at one end of the tomato area and were working their way down the row. Got some fruit on Marglobe, Sun Gold, and Czech Bush. There weren't many of them, so it was a fair fight and I got it under control. If there are many of them, they are very hard to get rid of.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #50
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

I sprayed my greenhouse toms with abamectin today,I'm gonna catch some stinkbugs and test this pesticide on them at standard strength(0.05%) and report on it's effectivness.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #51
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Got a live one sitting on my cucumber vine. Got him with the bugzooka.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/g...&A/p&dc_12.htm

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote