Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 10, 2010   #46
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Home Depot sells Ortho Garden Disease brand concentrate in (green) pint bottles at their stores: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Here's a link to locate a store near you that carries the GardenTech/GulfStream brand of Daconil concentrate in (red) quart bottles: http://www.gardentech.com/Dac_wheretobuy.asp

Here's a link to locate a store near you that carries the Bonide brand Fungonil concentrate in either (white) pint or quart sized bottles: http://www.bonideproducts.com/produc...ategory_id=879

All listed brands above use the 29.6% chlorothalonil formulation, which is most effective for the home gardener.

There are other brands, such as Hy-Yield, that are formulated with 12.5% chlorothalonil and therefore must be mixed with a higher percentage of concentrate to water. See (yellow) bottle image below.

Regardless of the brand, chlorothalonil is a preventative treatment and not a cure. For best results, you should spray your plants weekly throughout the season. And remember... it helps other garden crops too, such as squash, melons and cucumbers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OrthoGDC.jpg (15.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg daconil.jpg (280.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: gif Fungonil.gif (35.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Hy_Daconil.jpg (10.6 KB, 20 views)

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2010   #47
mom2shaggy
Tomatovillian™

A thank you to everyone who has posted so far about the blight, it a lot of food for thought. I live in East Central Pa, in a county that grows a lot of commercial potatoes. My 2 cents: last year I used copper spray alternating with Serenade twice a week and lost all my tomatoes, Rutgers was the last hold out for several weeks before it died. I knew deep down inside the blight was coming back despite the fact a lot of people said it wouldn't. It's not here yet, but my gut tells me it's coming, rainy weather for most of this week is the forecast. I try organic methods if at all possible. But blight is tough bugger to beat. I'm thinking of using chlorothalonil alternating with Excel LG because Excel is a systemic fungicide. I'm more concerned about rain washing off topical applications, but am afraid that the organic route alone will not be potent enough.
mom2shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2010   #48
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Default Spraying "Daconil" and feeling guilty???

I just sprayed my "5" plants tonight with "Daconil" I am feeling a positive vibe here I wish everyone here a GREAT NIGHT! >>>>>>>>>Talon
Old July 19, 2010   #49
platys
Tomatovillian™

I've got some fungus amongus on the poor plants that got too wet, and were under an overhang to boot. But, it doesn't look like late blight to me. Even so, I've been using daconil and the other plants are fine.

I'll probably lose two in the next day or so - at least, they are dragged into quarantine. I'm just going to see if I can't get any of the fruit to ripen.
platys is offline   Reply With Quote