Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 7, 2012   #1
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Default Break O' Day Seed Source?

Where can I get Break O' Day seeds? In the past I have gotten them from Sandhill Preservation, Baker Creek or Carol Knapp. I can't find them this year. Sandhill Preservation catalog arrives very late for me. Can someone check their catalog for me if you get one soon? Any suggestions where to get the seed? Break O' Day always does very well for me here in Northern Wyoming.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you post your needs in the wanted section you will more than likly get some response.
I have some but am in no position to get time to you right now.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2012   #3
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Carol has them listed:

http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....eeds-2011.html

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2012   #4
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Steve, I looked earlier and missed them. I will get my order in.
Old January 7, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Where can I get Break O' Day seeds? In the past I have gotten them from Sandhill Preservation, Baker Creek or Carol Knapp. I can't find them this year. Sandhill Preservation catalog arrives very late for me. Can someone check their catalog for me if you get one soon? Any suggestions where to get the seed? Break O' Day always does very well for me here in Northern Wyoming.
When you want to know a seed source for a variety I'd go to Tania's site first, see link below to Break O Day. And from the page below after you're through go to the upper left and click on HOME and see all the various ways that you can search for a variety. When I know the name of a variety I use the alphabetical way and all you do it click on that link down the HOME page a bit where to get seeds for a variety it's best to go to Tania's tomato base first.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Break_O'Day

here's the link above and while the pictures aren't downloading well, if you scroll down to the bottom you'll find the lsit of seed sources for 2011 and the 2012 sources can't be posted until all the websites or catalogs are updated for 2012.

This is the update from Sandhill as to when catalogs will be sent out and more. I don't think Linda has yet finished updating the website.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/news.html

Break O Day is also one of my favorite old time tomatoes as well.

Just a note for the future, but if you want to find a source for seeds or to see if anyone here has them, go to the Seed Exchange Forum and post in the WANTED FORUM. You may well find that someone here already has some or can tell you where to find them. I do but they're so old I wouldn't send them to anyone.

But do check Tatiana's website first.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add that it looks like several folks beat me to it while I was fetching links.
Old January 8, 2012   #6
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, Why is such a good tomato so hard to find? It produces a good yield of medium size tomatoes and is good for eating and for canning. The fruits are pretty and the plant is disease resistant. Fruits ripen mid season here in Wyoming. It is a keeper. I probably should isolate some plants and save some seed.
Old January 8, 2012   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Thanks Carolyn, Why is such a good tomato so hard to find? It produces a good yield of medium size tomatoes and is good for eating and for canning. The fruits are pretty and the plant is disease resistant. Fruits ripen mid season here in Wyoming. It is a keeper. I probably should isolate some plants and save some seed.
I don't thnk a good tomato variety is hard to find, I've grown a lot and loved many of them but I think we all have our favorites as the years pass and new ones displace other ones.

I'm not too sure I can agree with you when you say Break O Day is disease resistant. Where you live there aren't many soil borne disease, same for me in upstate NY, but any variety can get the common foliage diseases and that's been a constant for me.

I think it's a good idea for everyone to save their own seed and in a day or so when I put up my 2012 seed offer in the trade forum here I'll be speaking to that. No, I don't trade seeds, but that's where seed offers go when one isn't looking for trades.

Glad you found some seeds.
Old January 8, 2012   #8
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I was ordering from Baker Creek today and checked the on line only section and lo and behold there was Break O' Day. It is not in their catalog.