Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2013   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a black cherry plum?

My first black cherry produced loads of black plum cherries. Since this is my first time with black cherry, I thought it was normal.

My second produced the round ones pictured on Tania's site. Now I realize that the plums were NOT black cherry. But they were black cherries of plum shape.

I don't know where the seeds came from - I have several packets, and didn't record which one I planted from.

Is there a plum-shaped black cherry?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if there is a plum shaped black cherry but there is a small Black Russian tomato called black plum. I have it growing and it has what I would call a large cherry or very small saladette sized black plums. This is likely not too helpful but there are small black plum tomatoes out there. If it is a variation of the black cherry that would be cool.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Black Plum a few times and liked it.

One year the Black Cherry seedling I bought turned out to be a small black plum that looked and tasted exactly like Black Plum. So perhaps that's a common seeding/labeling error?

In my gardens, Black Plum has been a more consistent tomato than Black Cherry -- healthier plants, better production, and better flavor. But at its best (which it was only one year), nothing beats Black Cherry.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I looked at the photos on Tania's database, and mine IS Black Plum. Thanks folks for the tips. I liked Black Plum, but the taste of the true Black Cherry is better (more intense).

Now, if I can just figure out which vendor mislabeled Black Plum....
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Brown Cherry is also plum shaped.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #6
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
My first black cherry produced loads of black plum cherries. Since this is my first time with black cherry, I thought it was normal.

My second produced the round ones pictured on Tania's site. Now I realize that the plums were NOT black cherry. But they were black cherries of plum shape.

I don't know where the seeds came from - I have several packets, and didn't record which one I planted from.

Is there a plum-shaped black cherry?
I did that last year, thought I had black cherry from some seed a friend grew out and gave me back (I'd given him some the year before) turns out I had unloaded some black plum on him. They were very sour/acidic/something, Yuk.
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote