Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 9, 2008   #1
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally getting a few tomatoes

Tomatoes are coming in several weeks late this year. Most are protected in greenhouses, but we had hail yesterday which didn't help the ones outdoors much!

Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2008   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, very nice tomatoes! Your hard work is starting to pay off despite the weather. Ami
Old August 9, 2008   #3
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ami. It's been particularly challenging this year!

Sherry
Old August 9, 2008   #4
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Hum...no comment. Just kidding. I can't believe what a measly 5 degrees warmer than in Anchorage can do. What are the varieties you have there? They are lovely.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2008   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful plate of tomatoes! Yes, let us know what varieties they are please ...

This is the coolest summer in about 15 or more years. So far my measily harvest is 4 Sungolds, 2 Pink Quartz, and 1 Snow White cherry. I am not a cherry fan, but this year I am thankful I kept a few, I only start some for my sister. All of the big tomatoes have filled out and look full sized -- and some of the hearts are huge, but not a hint of color yet. We just have not had the heat all summer ... have not turned on the air conditioner ONCE this summer.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2008   #6
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

They look absolutely great Sherry! Please share the names. I love the plate too.
It has been a trying year here too. I've endured 3 hail storms and more rain than I ever remember, but I've started to harvest some tomatoes too. I think I will still have way more tomatoes than the last two years of very hot dry weather so I have tried to keep my complaints to a minimum.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2008   #7
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all! The large one in the center is Paul Robeson. The darkest on the left is Black from Tula. Immediately above and to the right of BFT are two Grumpies (my plant E8 ). Below BFT and barely visible is Pink Siberian and then two Grumpies which are from the cuttings of last year's plants. On top of the Black Cherries in the front are two Pinnochio. Sun Gold nestled around Paul Robeson to the upper left (that one was probably obvious!). Above PR to the right are 3 Stupice. And the big, giant, misshapen pink one on the right is Grumpy (my plant B4).

Sherry
Old August 9, 2008   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Great looking harvest! It's always rewarding to get a nice harvest such as yours during the challenging seasons!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote