Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2011   #46
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaleota View Post
Good to hear! Does other stuff grow better there too?
Oh yeah...My Husband grows everything else and specifically, about 20 kinds of peppers. They looked like small trees! He is really popular because our neighbors only have access to a few pepper types so they besieged him for seeds. I noticed that his peppers ripened at a supersonic rate. His vine crops just went rampant. He told me he had to cut back the watermelon and pumpkin vines about twice a week (I never step foot in his garden as I could care less about other vegies.) The humidity was a nominal 30 to 40 % and the plants sure loved it.

Last edited by brokenbar; June 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2011   #47
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

brokenbar, if you offer your strain of Costoluto Genovese seed via sase or trade let me know since will like to get few. I only eat tomatoes as sauce or cooked so that fits rignt in
Old June 6, 2011   #48
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar,
I too have quit growing cherry tomatoes, and I stopped growing early varieties years ago. However, there is a pink slicer that does very well here and has been the first to ripen the last couple years.
It is thin skinned, with a smaller core, like my favorite Brandywines. It is quite tasty like them also. I never compared yield lb. for lb. but I'd say they are close with a slight edge going to the early ripener.
It's name...Barlow Jap.
I don't know of anyone growing them in Mexico, but here in Pa. they are fantastic. You might want to keep an eye out and give them a try, just to see how they do down there.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2011   #49
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
brokenbar, if you offer your strain of Costoluto Genovese seed via sase or trade let me know since will like to get few. I only eat tomatoes as sauce or cooked so that fits rignt in
My Son is coming down in October and I will be sending seeds to offer back with him. I have had nothing but problems sending/receiving seeds in Mexico (and everything else!)

I am going to have plenty of seeds from about 15 sauce/paste/drying varieties with hearts, fluted, sausage types, etc. I am hoping in the next couple of years to be able to try/re-try other varieties that just did not work for me in Wyoming (land of the ever shrinking growing season!) Don't worry, I will post seeds for a SSAE and my son will send them out from Wyoming for everyone. This is the only way I can guarantee that everyone has a fair chance of receiving them. He is bringing me down seeds I got from this year's yearbook and others I ordered for my plant start in December (that just sounds wrong somehow )

Thus far, the only tomatoes I have seen at the marketplace were very ordinary paste/slicing/cherry or they were tomatoes that our neighbors grew from seed I gave them!

Currently, the Mexican Watermelon Extravaganza is in full swing and all you see are truckload after truckload heading to the US. And even WORSE...they are almost all hybrid seedless types. You get heirloom, seeded types in the marketplace but the commercial growers have all gone to seedless as that is what the American Consumer wants. BLEHHHH...no flavor. I asked our Handyman and he says that the growers are paid approximately .50 cents apiece for each watermelon...so there you go..cheap, cheap, cheap which is why purchasers for the large companies like Walmart, Albertsons, etc are buying them from Mexico. Almost NONE of the commercially grown produce is sold in Mexico. All headed to the States and right behind Mexico is Chili.

I will have plenty of seed...

Last edited by brokenbar; June 7, 2011 at 07:29 AM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2011   #50
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by camochef View Post
Brokenbar,
I too have quit growing cherry tomatoes, and I stopped growing early varieties years ago. However, there is a pink slicer that does very well here and has been the first to ripen the last couple years.
It is thin skinned, with a smaller core, like my favorite Brandywines. It is quite tasty like them also. I never compared yield lb. for lb. but I'd say they are close with a slight edge going to the early ripener.
It's name...Barlow Jap.
I don't know of anyone growing them in Mexico, but here in Pa. they are fantastic. You might want to keep an eye out and give them a try, just to see how they do down there.
Camo
The Husband, he grows all of the "other" tomatoes, I grow the "good" ones... And he got Barlow Jap from someone for next year because he was telling me something about it WHILE I WAS READING which just annoys the daylights out of me (and he says I am ALWAYS reading so when can he talk to me or does he need to make an appointment...which, when I consider it, might not be a bad idea...) I will tell him you liked it.
Old June 7, 2011   #51
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

BrokenBar- I really enjoy your posts and comments, what part of Mexico are you in? Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #52
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I'd love to find a good old seeded watermelon - they sure are so much more tasty. And too funny re. the husband - it is soooo annoying when someone talks while you're reading.
Old June 7, 2011   #53
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
BrokenBar- I really enjoy your posts and comments, what part of Mexico are you in? Linda
Linda, We are outside the city of Merida on the Yucatan Peninsula. We are inland about 1 mile. Would have loved to live right near the beach but beach "dirt" is rotten for growing.We just love it here. We had narrowed our choice(s) to three different cities before settling on Merida.
Old June 7, 2011   #54
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

I just Googled Merida-----nice! Do you speak Spanish, I assume?
jgaleota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #55
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
My Son is coming down in October and I will be sending seeds to offer back with him. I have had nothing but problems sending/receiving seeds in Mexico (and everything else!)

I am going to have plenty of seeds from about 15 sauce/paste/drying varieties with hearts, fluted, sausage types, etc. I am hoping in the next couple of years to be able to try/re-try other varieties that just did not work for me in Wyoming (land of the ever shrinking growing season!) Don't worry, I will post seeds for a SSAE and my son will send them out from Wyoming for everyone. This is the only way I can guarantee that everyone has a fair chance of receiving them. He is bringing me down seeds I got from this year's yearbook and others I ordered for my plant start in December (that just sounds wrong somehow )

Thus far, the only tomatoes I have seen at the marketplace were very ordinary paste/slicing/cherry or they were tomatoes that our neighbors grew from seed I gave them!

Currently, the Mexican Watermelon Extravaganza is in full swing and all you see are truckload after truckload heading to the US. And even WORSE...they are almost all hybrid seedless types. You get heirloom, seeded types in the marketplace but the commercial growers have all gone to seedless as that is what the American Consumer wants. BLEHHHH...no flavor. I asked our Handyman and he says that the growers are paid approximately .50 cents apiece for each watermelon...so there you go..cheap, cheap, cheap which is why purchasers for the large companies like Walmart, Albertsons, etc are buying them from Mexico. Almost NONE of the commercially grown produce is sold in Mexico. All headed to the States and right behind Mexico is Chili.

I will have plenty of seed...

Can't wait to see your seed offer this fall.Hope things will go right so I can offer a few things too.Hope you have pepper seeds too. Does your hubby grow Poblano/Ancho by any chance? I know folks down that way think very highly of their peppers.Hard to get real Mexican food up here btw.Have you posted any recipes?Glad you have good neighbors down there.Sounds like I might enjoy a visit if I where to ever get down there.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #56
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
Can't wait to see your seed offer this fall.Hope things will go right so I can offer a few things too.Hope you have pepper seeds too. Does your hubby grow Poblano/Ancho by any chance? I know folks down that way think very highly of their peppers.Hard to get real Mexican food up here btw.Have you posted any recipes?Glad you have good neighbors down there.Sounds like I might enjoy a visit if I where to ever get down there.

Kevin
Will have pepper seeds also. Husband "does not want to deal with it" (saving/drying, etc/) so I usually do it. He has an incredible number of varieties he grows. Mostly, just because he likes to grow them as how many peppers can two people really use??? In Wyoming he took them to the farmers market but now he says he does not want to do that anymore so I expect he will just give extras to neighbors. i don't know if he grows Poblano or not but it seems to ring a bell. I will ask him. Maybe he does because he likes to smoke peppers and uses the smoked ones in his carne asada marinade and in his "secret" barbeque sauce () We both really love hot, spicy food having grown up on the Mexican border. Hard to find authentic Mexican food in Wyoming! I can "hot" Mexican-style carrots, hot pickled peppers, hot pickled green beans and hot pickled asparagus. He makes a really hot chow-chow relish too that he loves on hotdogs. I grew some Italian Cippolini (odd looking little onions) and have just finished pickling those.
Old June 7, 2011   #57
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
)
Will have pepper seeds also. Husband "does not want to deal with it" (saving/drying, etc/) so I usually do it. He has an incredible number of varieties he grows. Mostly, just because he likes to grow them as how many peppers can two people really use??? In Wyoming he took them to the farmers market but now he says he does not want to do that anymore so I expect he will just give extras to neighbors. i don't know if he grows Poblano or not but it seems to ring a bell. I will ask him. Maybe he does because he likes to smoke peppers and uses the smoked ones in his carne asada marinade and in his "secret" barbeque sauce () We both really love hot, spicy food having grown up on the Mexican border. Hard to find authentic Mexican food in Wyoming! I can "hot" Mexican-style carrots, hot pickled peppers, hot pickled green beans and hot pickled asparagus. He makes a really hot chow-chow relish too that he loves on hotdogs. I grew some Italian Cippolini (odd looking little onions) and have just finished pickling those.
Oh I know what you mean about real Mexican food.Growing up in Los Angeles I had an easier time getting the real deal.And Taco Bell and Del Taco don't count Use to be able to get sweet bread too that was real good too. Wanted to do more Mexican type meals this year but my peppers did not come out as well this year. I normally have about 10 Jalapeño plants alone 30 Bells and about 10 Serrano.And unless you grow your own Poblano plants they are hard to come by.At least here they are. Chili Rellenos have been at the top of my to try list this year.Soon I hope.

Kevin
Old June 7, 2011   #58
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Seriously? You can't get poblanos? We can get them here in the summer......LOVE chile rellenos. Then there is albondigas (lovely meatball soup with cinnamon, epazote (I think) and the cute little meatballs have a piece of hard boiled egg inside. Yum, slurp. Must cook Mexican soon.

Judi
jgaleota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #59
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
)
What about hot pickles YUMMM

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #60
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaleota View Post
Seriously? You can't get poblanos? We can get them here in the summer......LOVE chile rellenos. Then there is albondigas (lovely meatball soup with cinnamon, epazote (I think) and the cute little meatballs have a piece of hard boiled egg inside. Yum, slurp. Must cook Mexican soon.

Judi

Yep.When we do see them it is usually in 4 inch pots or larger at outrageous prices.Can get the peppers at any store.But why do that if you can grow them?But last time my family got some from Kroger they where pretty good.Put some in chili.

Kevin