Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 3, 2014   #1
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Default Moving a Large Rhododendron

I managed to get a few large fall projects out of the way in the last few weeks. Moving this big Rhody was one of them. It only needed to go about 60 feet or so into my neighbor’s yard.

In full bloom this summer

The root ball ended up being 5X5 and about 12 inches deep. They don’t have a tap root, so wide and flat is the way to go. I would guess it weighed north of 600 lbs. Had a few minutes of consternation as it had rained heavily the day before and it was up tight against the foundation so not a lot of working room. After a bit of tire spinning, some readjustments, and a few choice expletives, out she came.

My assistant – I used pallet forks for the lift and move, not the bucket.

Its new home - Nice and tidy isn't it? It is going to look great here as long as it survives.

The aftermath – Still need to rake area this out. I will use the rest of the excess sod from the new planting hole and then seed the rest.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2014   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Very well done! That's a beautiful plant. I hope you still get to look at it often.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2014   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

What a job! I don't envy you digging out the huge root ball. But it will all be worth it next time it blooms!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Charlie and Dee,
Thanks!
It has to be at least 30 to 40 years old and growing in a bad spot with poor soil.
It had to be moved - or the easy way out - chainsaw. I couldn't justify that. If it doesn't make it at least I tried.
It is in a choice spot so I will still get to see it every day.
I should have posted this pic.
It is now in front of the white garage in the right of this photo.

Old November 5, 2014   #5
maf
Tomatovillian™

Nice job! I would be willing to bet money that it survives as long as the damage to the bark is not too severe.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In another life I used to do this sort of thing.
You did a perfect job.
This winter it can grow new roots hopefully and come this spring and summer it should be kept well watered.
It will be fine I imagine.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2014   #7
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Guys!
Maf, yeah that is an idiot mark. Head smacking rookie mistake, not burlapping the trunk or padding the forks.
Worth, I resemble that remark as well. Has to be 20 years since the last time I operated any heavy equip though. Amazing what you don't forget, other than the burlap.... DOH!
Old May 28, 2015   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

It appears we have a winner. After the winter we had here I was not real sure this would make it.
Still have concerns about the large left side branch.

It was in prime position to catch all the rain off the back neighbors garage roof.
Wouldn't you know it, he went and replaced the roof and put in a new gutter! "The best laid schemes of Mice and Men oft go awry..."

May 17th

Yesterday, May 27th

Old May 28, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #10
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

I would say that's quite successful, good job. I took rhodies from my neighbor's yard once. For some reason they dug them up when they were in full bloom! (They were more than a little OCD...) I kept soaker hoses on them the first year, they seemed fine. Fine during the rainy winter. Next spring I did NOT put the soaker hoses back, and wished I had. They all died. Since your neighbor fixed his gutter he might want to put a soaker hose or dripper on it if possible.
Old May 29, 2015   #11
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Awesome job, it looks good! I dug up a fig that was planted about 15 years ago and moved it to where we live now. The first year it looked great, but this year one side died. Bummer! I need to prune it back to the live side.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #12
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all. Yes, consistent watering is the key, especially for the first year.

Jenn,
Wrong neighbor on the roof fix, we were screening off that guys garage.
Old May 29, 2015   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Nice. Do you fertilize the rhododendron? Mine are not nearly as nice. I'm sure they haven't been fertilized in about 20 years. I'm thinking about fertilizing but don't want to hurt them,either.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #14
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, yes feed them!
Espoma Hollytone is a safe bet. I have also used Texas tomato food as quick liquid hit. If they haven't been fed in forever, a few hits of whatever liquid fert you have over the next few weeks would be fine.
2012 was my first year in this house and this Rhody looked kinda ratty. 2 years of a little TLC and the result was the pix from my first post. My neighbor said she could not believe how good it looked last year and she has been in her house for at least 25 years.
No real effort - spring feed, maybe some mulch and a light fall pruning and you are done.
Good Rhody site -http://www.rhododendron.org/plantcare.htm
Old May 30, 2015   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, James! I have some Epsoma acid lover food hanging around. I'll toss some on the Rhodes and azaleas,too!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote