Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 1, 2009   #1
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Default Solanum aethiopicum "Mini Pumpkin Tree"

I purchased one plant of the above at the farmer's market (that one was all they had). I planted it and then wondered after if I needed two for pollination? !?!?

My lonely "Pumpkin on a Stick" (labeled as such here) is now blooming ....... does it have a hope of producing fruit???

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009   #2
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Odd name, had to look it up. Called Ethiopian eggplant and mock tomato. The picture I found does kinda resemble a flat pumpkin.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009   #3
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

TZ it really is a cool looking plant........they say the spines aren't dangerous but looking at the leaves covered by them I'm still leary re touching it.

Our local Safeway carried a number of the cut sticks last fall (and charged a fortune for them). They really make a lovely bouquet for Hallowe'en so I'm hoping it self pollinates.

Mirabel Osler
Old August 9, 2009   #4
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Here's the leaf of this very, very different eggplant........

Click for Larger Size

I saw one little pumpkin on it a couple of days ago but today the ground was too wet to see if it took or not.

Mirabel Osler
Old August 9, 2009   #5
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Well I might have a hope of getting a few punkins........if Nasty Jack stays away for awhile.

"It is hardy to zone 10 and is frost tender. It is in flower from July to September, and the seeds ripen from August to October. The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Insects. The plant prefers light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and requires well-drained soil. The plant prefers acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It cannot grow in the shade. It requires moist soil."
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....um+aethiopicum

Mirabel Osler
Old September 15, 2009   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I grew out some of the pumpkin-on-a-stick plants for my wife's flower garden this year and they are pretty neat. A member of the eggplant family but looks like a mini pumpkin or even a tomato and makes a beautiful decorative display. Friends who have seen the large bowl of them on the dining room table remark that "those little plastic pumpkins look real." They are easier to grow than "mini pumpkins" and don't require all the space for the vines.
Old September 15, 2009   #7
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Paul I'm glad to read they did well for you.......I'm not sure if I'll get ripe ones here or not. There is a lot of green ones on my plant but whether or not they will turn orange for me is the burning (or is it freezing) question now.

This week I see a lot of 80s (F) in my forecast and then some cooler days after that (but then we are to warm up again before the chart shows a nasty drop). Crossing fingers and toes that they are really wrong there!

Mirabel Osler

Last edited by Lilypon; September 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old September 23, 2009   #8
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

One "Pumpkin Tree" variety I grew a couple years ago is the Hmong Ruffled Red Eggplant. The fruit looks like perfect 3" pumpkins that are more on the orangy/red side. In Asia they use it for stir-fry, but is does have a slight bitterness you may need to get used to.
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote