Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 8, 2009   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default planting cabbage in July?

Just stopped at my local Shopko and they still had some very decent looking cabbage plants. What are the chances of producing a crop planting this late and in hot weather? I will mulch and water well. My spring planted cabbages are ready so this would be a fall crop. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2009   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Our recommended dates for planting fall cabbage here are July 7 to Sept. 15. Is it a late/fall variety?
Old July 8, 2009   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

My gardening by the month in Ohio book says plant in July for a fall crop on cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, peas, lettuces, etc.
So it won't hurt anything to try it and the plants are probably discounted by now.
Old July 8, 2009   #4
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thank you Michele and Barbee - the variety is Discover - I haven't seen this variety around here so perhaps it is a fall variety. Obviously the plants had not been sitting around too long because they were quite nice, not seriously rootbound. You never know unless you try - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

We plant Cabbage around here (SE Wi) til about the beginning of Aug.

Last year we tried some as late as Aug 19 and missed getting heards by about a week. We had a cool fall tho. If it had been a bit milder or longer, we would have had nice late stuff for market.

Buying any of the obviously OLD cabbage family plants at the garden centers can be a crap-shoot. Especially with cauliflower. Once they get overgrown and root-bound, they tend to bolt and not make a head or make a very small, odd head.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i plant cabbage from april to august that i start from seed, just put out 6 2 days ago. all you have to do is water it. cabbage does well in cool temps and the heat of summer but you must keep it watered in summer temps.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Putting in plants now should work fine. I get a better crop from my fall planting (planted out about now) than the spring planted crops. Just keep an eye out for cabbage worms.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote