Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 13, 2009   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest

Does anyone have any experience with Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest. They seem to have a lot of products and a really nice webpage but when doing a search on Tomatoville I come up with nothing.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #2
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

There are three different threads for tomato fest under the plant and seed source in the garden forum index (the first page that pops up after logging in). Two of them are on the second page and the third one is on the third page.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest. They seem to have a lot of products and a really nice webpage but when doing a search on Tomatoville I come up with nothing.
Gary is no longer doing his annual Tomatofest and I think that may also be posted at his website.

If you mean just buying seeds from Tomatofest octony has told you where to look. The past few years there has been some problems with trueness of some varieties, but considering the number of varieties offered it's small, and no place offering OP seed has a perfect record on that score.

One of the threads at the top of this Forum also lists many more seeds sources and there are threads here for many of the ones that folks seem to prefer.

Hope that helps.
Old October 25, 2009   #4
cjeanhall
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatofest

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
I buy most of my seeds from them with great results.
cjeanhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2009   #5
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Gary's Tomatofest is a great opportunity to try some good varieties. I've actually had the pleasure of trading with him, and have found him truly interested in diversity. The pictures of his varieties are listed on his website for your reference. Purchase with confidence from him and you'll be purchasing from a man who loves the hobby!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2009   #6
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I have found several of his named varieties to be very similar to well-known tomatoes.

Last edited by goodwin; November 1, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2009   #7
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I've had enough mixed seed and poor germination that I can't recommend Tomatofest.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2009   #8
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Maybe that's why he isn't doing the Tomatofest anymore. Anyway, I've grown a tomato blest by Clint Eastwood! : )
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2009   #9
michelle8
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the information!
michelle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009   #10
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Bakers creek heirloom seeds can stretch the truth too, just look at the Black Brandywine story!!! lol
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

There's plenty of hyperbole and trick photography to go around in nearly all of the heirloom tomato seed vendors. Sandhill Preservation and Victory Seeds are two that don't get all glossy and overstate reality.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2010   #12
olstinker
Tomatovillian™

I hate for this to be my 1st post but since I just got an order from them... I won't be ordering from them again. My order was incomplete and getting in touch with them doesn't seem possible.
olstinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2010   #13
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have not bought from them for a couple of years. I had 3 out of 9 varieties come up wrong (a beefsteak that was a cherry... )
On the other hand, I have had very good results buying from Marriana's heirloom seeds (both on her website and from the Yearbook.)

I am always a little leery when seeds "have a story" or a name I have never heard of...many times that means someone has changed the name of a variety to something more clever. Having grown nothing but paste/dry/few-seeded/oxheart varieties for more than 10 years, I am familiar with most varieties available (not all but most.) I admit ignorance on the "general" tomato population.

I have also had excellent results buying from yearbook growers...I think most are very conscientious. And don't get me started on tomato photos...
Old February 9, 2010   #14
JulieTA
Tomatovillian™

Ugh...I've done all my orders through Bakers Creek and SSE, but two nights ago in a fit of insomnia...I placed an order with Gary Ibsen's site for some varieties I couldn't find. Drat. I can't take the chance of having varieties come up incorrectly--I sell through my business. Drat, drat, drat...again.

Thanks for the warning! I would be mortified if a customer ended up with the wrong plant...
JulieTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2010   #15
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I have never had untrue seed from Tomatofest seeds but about 3 years ago I did hear of a few - I think he had students working there via a school program - happy with Tomatofest seeds but not the big commercialized Tomatofest just like Mischka - I think he was finally overwhelmed with it and is going to just stick with his seed business - and selling tomatoes

As far as Mischka says I agree on price gouging - yes Gary Ibsen charges $3.95 for some varieties - and some about the same as other sites when # seeds is compared - his sale seeds at usually $2 per pack is a good deal 35-40+ seeds- that is what I usually do is fill in my list - and some of his $2.95 packs sometimes last years seeds but you can ask ahead - he has always been prompt at answering emails -

Tomatofest does tend to rename a few tomatoes which have have different names - but I have seen other sites also -

I give all vendors I try a few chances and if they do not perform then they are off my list -

Heirloom seeds is one with slow shipping etc and I have had untrue seed - last year I received some seeds ordered in Jan in May - that's ridiculous

Heirloom Acres shorted me last Jan and 2 weeks ago I finally got a refund - he did substitute 3 varieties also from now on I am going to make sure he doesn't do that with varieties I do not want - otherwise happy with Heirloom acres

Happy with TomatoFest!!!

Dennis

Last edited by mtbigfish; March 16, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote