Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 30, 2007   #16
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, there's no point in letting them get big (on purpose). The big ones aren't as tender as the little ones and they grow ssoooooo fast that you don't have to wait long for the next harvest (like maybe 24 hours later).

So Worth, you say you want to save seeds. How easily do the different varieties cross?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2007   #17
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have two emerald plants and they too are branching well, starting to produce well too. I cut back my 5 CS plants a few weeks ago but they are still producing and I am still harvesting around 8 or 9 pods a day from them. Had some fried okra last night. My plan for next year is to grow 8 plants in the same raised bed, Louisiana Green Velvet. That should be more than enough for my needs.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2007   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
So Worth, you say you want to save seeds. How easily do the different varieties cross?
Not sure, I have to check on that.

I have never grown two types of Okra close to each other before.
It's always been about 30 feet apart and have had none cross with each other.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2007   #19
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My Dwarf Green Long Pod is not very dwarf anymore. Some of it is over eight feet tall so I don't really know what variety it is. Worth has convinced me to try the Green Velvet too. I'll grow it along side the White Velvet.
Old October 1, 2007   #20
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Victory Seed indicates that okra crosses very easily and that bagging flowers, screening entire plants, or isolating up to a mile is needed to produce pure seed. Perhaps that is their strategy as a seed company, but it's kept me from saving okra seed at our community garden (well, that and eating all that we grow).

Worth, if you can, make room for one more variety: Aunt Hettie's Red. Victory carries it and we find it a really good-tasting okra as well as having a highly ornamental plant that always draws attention. It wasn't quite as productive as White Velvet or some of the others we've grown, but its flavor keeps us growing it.
Old October 1, 2007   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
Victory Seed indicates that okra crosses very easily and that bagging flowers, screening entire plants, or isolating up to a mile is needed to produce pure seed. Perhaps that is their strategy as a seed company, but it's kept me from saving okra seed at our community garden (well, that and eating all that we grow).

Worth, if you can, make room for one more variety: Aunt Hettie's Red. Victory carries it and we find it a really good-tasting okra as well as having a highly ornamental plant that always draws attention. It wasn't quite as productive as White Velvet or some of the others we've grown, but its flavor keeps us growing it.
Aunt Hettie's Red I'll do that I already have some reds but
what the who, just ONE MORE
Thanks,

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2007   #22
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

My family likes the taste of star of david for fried and fresh cut on salads, I like Aunt hettie's for boiled and pickeling. When we pickle it the red color makes a pretty maroon color pickling juice in the jar. Life would not be the same without okra on the table year round... lol.. 8)
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote