Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 14, 2007   #1
mathfed
Tomatovillian™

Default Moving Corn Sprouts?

I have corn seed planted in a 20 ft by 4 ft bed. The sprouts started popping through the soil about a week ago. I always seed corn to be half the recommended spacing, and then thin plants out as they get taller. This year, a few days after putting seed in the ground, deer trampled a section of my corn bed. In that part of the bed, there are very few sprouts coming up. Since I have extra sprouts everywhere else in the bed, I am thinking of trying to transplant some of those sprouts to the trampled area. Has anyone ever tried something like this? My thought it to take a large spoon, perhaps a soup spoon, and dig enough around a sprout to get the plant and its roots. Then, dig a small hole in the new location to transplant into. Do you think that would work? I don't want to reseed the trampled area because I am going to try for two crops of corn from that bed this summer. Waiting a few extra weeks to pick ears from the new seed would likely push the second crop too close to the first frost date. If you think this will work, what would be a good stage to move the corn seedlings? I usually transplant peppers and tomatoes depending on the number of true leaves they have, but I'm not sure how this translates to corn. Should I move them after they are a few inches tall?
mathfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Mathfed...let the sprouts change from straight post whips, into about 2-3 inch high seedlings.I use my hands, like a cupping fashion..my fingers go beneath the depth that the seedlings roots are at, pick up a handcupful of dirt along w/the seedling, carry an place it. Corn will transplant very easy this way, w/no ill effects. It helps...if the one doin it, is the one that planted it, because...)))They Know...how deep they sowed it. Should be no sweat...Mathfed...how bout findin a name i can abbreviate...))) Best Wishes on ya 2 Crops...)))
Old May 14, 2007   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i've done it. do like gimme says. transfer with dirt around the root system. a trowel will work better than a soup spoon. try to do this when it is not really sunny. make sure to water them each day until they get settled in. they may look ragged for a few days, but they will bounce back as long as you keep them well watered.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007   #4
mathfed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pointers. I did it last night, and so far the transplants don't seem stressed at all. I watered the bed really well after moving seedlings around.

What do you mean you can't abbreviate my name, Gimme? Is there something wrong with calling me MF? hehe
mathfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007   #5
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

MF...i jus didnt wanna do that...an possibly hurt ya Feelins... Bro...Glad u caught my Simple Drift...))) U gon be Fine on that Corn... Lord willin an no high winds come yo way. Be happy to help out on any other questions that might arise...thru time... Grow some Pretty Corn !...)))