Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old May 10, 2006   #1
RPostley
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAG 'Taste Fest"

Gary et al.-

You had best believe that I will be there, and will come 'loaded for bear'!!! Last year, I brought a mediocre Italian Giant tomato just to see if I could find out more about it. You (and others) talked me into entering it in the competition -- 5th place 'tickled me to death'!!!!

Watch out CHOPTAG -- KY is 'moving in'... {lol} I just might bring enough 'maters to give the Ohio and NC crews a REAL 'run for the money"!

Now for a serious question: we had a cold snap a week ago - every aphid in the county moved into my hoop house and onto my 'for sale' 'mater transplants... I refuse to prespray plants before I sell them, and have been recommending that my customers start with water spray - then insecticidal soap - then Sevin - then .... Are there any other suggestions?

-Roger
Old May 10, 2006   #2
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Roger, These kind of quetions would best be asked in the Main Thread Conversation where problems are discussed.
Do you have ants present where you plants are located? If you do, get rid of them somehow!
Depending on the size of your plants I would use a five gallon bucket filled with insecticidal soap and dip the plants. Then have another bucket with some fresh clean water. I think that is better than using forced water on such tender plants.
Gary

Perhaps this will be helpful.
http://www.laters.com/insects/aphids.htm
Old May 11, 2006   #3
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

First let me say welcome.

Then, an even better place for your aphid question would be the Common Garden Diseases and Pests forum.

I think more people would be inclined to see it.