Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 18, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default berries

Can berries be grown from seed? I know w/fruit trees the answer is no, because they don't grow 'true to fruit' (a peach seed IS a peach, but if grown from seed, who knows what you'll get).

Does the same principal apply w/berries, or can you grow them from seed, and actually get a true fruit?

When I say berries I'm referring to the kind that form a shrub/bush NOT a tree

I believe these are blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and grapes; I know some of the berries form 'runners' but those are similar to vines more or less right?

W/berries are cranberries, currants, and cherries all from trees or are they bush/shrubs? Could use clarification w/this please.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #2
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I don't know why a peach seed wouldn't grow true to fruit, unless it is damaged or cross pollinated with another fruit tree.

The tree might not look the same, though, because I think a lot of fruit trees these days are grafted onto other rootstock to change things like tree size. (And also productivity and disease resistance, I think?)

Pretty sure that most fruits will grow true from seed as long as they haven't been damaged or cross pollinated. I read somewhere that one exception is a Mango. (Don't know why, but as I recall the flavor from a seed grown fruit is supposed to be very bad.)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
I don't know why a peach seed wouldn't grow true to fruit, unless it is damaged or cross pollinated with another fruit tree.

The tree might not look the same, though, because I think a lot of fruit trees these days are grafted onto other rootstock to change things like tree size. (And also productivity and disease resistance, I think?)

Pretty sure that most fruits will grow true from seed as long as they haven't been damaged or cross pollinated. I read somewhere that one exception is a Mango. (Don't know why, but as I recall the flavor from a seed grown fruit is supposed to be very bad.)
I just read a month ago that some university collected 100s of peach seeds from good trees and grew them out.
About 10 produced good fruit.
Almost all peaches are self pollinating and the reason many trees are grafted including peaches it they get the good tree limbs and buds and put them on a root stock
This is how they propagate the trees.

One pecan tree in San Saba Texas is the mother tree of all Stuart pecan trees.
It was found growing wild there from a natural cross.

I wouldn't waste my time growing out a peach from seed when you have many varieties for sell that you know will do good.
Plus take off about 4 to 5 years of waiting for a peach to grow from seed.

All apple seeds are cross pollinated you wont know what you get.
You cant grow a granny smith from seed unless you knew what the crosses where.

Sorry for the interruption.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #4
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Worth covered it.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote