Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 27, 2023   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default 14 yo Seeds are sprouting -Woo Hoo!

Hi All,

Back in 2008-2010 in Ohio I grew a lot of heirlooms and did a bunch of crossing and seed saving. Then my situation changed and those seeds just sat there in a box in a spare room. I recently moved to Florida and hauled that big box of memories with me (includes seeds from TaterMater potatoes, and a bunch of hot peppers), dug up a garden and decided to give them a try.

At one point I did a tomato sauce experiment looking for the best combos for flavor using pastes, oxhearts, beefsteaks, and different colors. My favorite was a mixture of Wes oxheart, Pink Beefsteak Brandywine-types and Purple/Blacks, I also liked a yellow, citrussy sauce made from my strain of Limmony mixed in with other yellows/oranges. So about two weeks ago I pulled out seeds for those favorites and planted them along with Habaneros and a bell pepper mix from new seed packs.

Success!!! In compots with about 20 seeds each

Peppers 90-100% germination

2010-Limmony 16 of~20
2008 Pruden's Purple 10 of~20
2010-Goose Creek 8 of~20
2010-Brandywine Sudduth 6 of~20
2009 Black Krim 6 of~20
2008 Earl of Edgcomb 1 of~20 -just hatched
2009-Wes 1 of~20 -just hatched
2010-Brandywine Cowlicks 0 of~20 -waiting
2010-"Kokosing Giant" 0 of~20 -waiting

"Kokosing Giant" is (I guess) a name I gave to an off-type plant with big fruit but it's been so long I can't remember anything about it. Since I didn't put any info with the seeds I probably felt it could not have been a cross or mutation, and it probably didn't fit anything else I had grown (which was most of the usual Mortgage Lifter type suspects). I'm guessing it was a big red beefsteak worth keeping but potato leaf? regular leaf? I bet I wrote all about it on some long lost spreadsheet. Kokosing was the name of the little river near my house so I must have named the thing-LOL, but I forgot all about it.

I don't even know if it is possible to grow tomatoes here in north central Florida starting now -- too hot to set fruit? diseases? huge grasshoppers?

Anybody have tips?
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote