Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2015   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have tried many EARLY varieties but most were indet, except one : SILETZ. It is said to have DTM =~ 60. Also, of all the early once Siletz has bigger fruits : 5 to 8 oz. It is also kinda parthenocarpic , meaning can fruit in bold weather. ALSO, it is OP/heirloom.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #17
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Neat. I have 42 Days. I'm also going to try Klukva v Sahare, Pendulina Orange and Red, Podarok Fei, Polarnij Skorospelyi, Roza Vetrov, Russkaya Dusha, Sladkij Ponchik, Sol Gold, Southern Nights, Taos Trail, and Utyonok. I believe that all of them are early determinates. I would like to find a good variety for an early crop in low tunnels.
FWIW I really like Podarok Fei, but for me, planted right next to the somewhat similar Zolotoe Serdtse, Podarok takes longer -- perhaps 2 or 3 weeks longer -- to get cranked up to serious production. They've both done pretty well here in our not-tomato-friendly environment, though, even without much special protection -- and both, when happy, surprised me by the size of fruit they produced. The fruit of both has proved to keep pretty well, too.

I believe Zolotoe is listed as an indeterminate, but, for me, both had plants and fruit pattern that were similar, except that Zolotoe began serious producing earlier.

If it wasn't for the production time difference, I'd probably just grow Podarok, so in your warmer zone it may not make that much difference. But Victory seeds carries both, I think, if you want to compare, even if just to have the info stashed in a corner of your mind for possible future reference. (DTM listed by Victory are often longer than what I observe, even here, but, as with much DTM info, I find reported DTMs useful indicators of relative maturity time of different varieties -- MUCH more useful than those who just list varieties as early, mid or late.)
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #18
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Great list! and would sure love to hear about results. Will too be growing few of Saraev varieties as well as Aurora from Tania, and few of seeds from Ukraine, new to me- Pchelka/ busy bee/ and Ideal.
From other small det or semi det? I really loved Pravda from Doublehelix farms. Small compact, grape like fruit, early, abundant and very very tasty.
http://www.doublehelixfarms.com/pravda
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #19
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This evening I begin the hardening tomato seeds 0-33. The seeds will gradually after twelve hours exposed to these changing environments:
12 hours dipping in warm water
12 hours of drying at room temperature
12 hours exposed to frost -2 ° C to -5 ° C
12 hours at room temperature
12 hours dipping in warm water
12 hours…………………………………………………………………..
This process will repeat until January 20, when the seeds will be sown together with other seeds so I can compare.
Plants from seeds stimulated in this way are characterized by a shorter growing season and better resist unfavorable declines in temperature (verified professional field trials undertaken during three years).
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #20
imp
Tomatovillian™

A couple questions-

How long do you dip them into the warm water? Is the warm water about body temperature or???

Are the seeds left uncovered and exposed in the cold 12 hours, in a packet, or cover of some sort?

Sounds interesting, and I look forward to reading about your results.

What breed is the dog in your avatar, please?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #21
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Interesting idea... I'd love to learn more. Please share the study / articles if you still have the links, when you have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
This evening I begin the hardening tomato seeds 0-33. The seeds will gradually after twelve hours exposed to these changing environments...
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015   #22
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
A couple questions-

How long do you dip them into the warm water? Is the warm water about body temperature or???

Are the seeds left uncovered and exposed in the cold 12 hours, in a packet, or cover of some sort?

Sounds interesting, and I look forward to reading about your results.

What breed is the dog in your avatar, please?
They maintain the required temperature in the refrigerator and use other similar devices equipped with thermostats. I do not have this option and I must find a place in the apartment with the required temperature. I do not have exactly the same temperature, but I think that this should not be so crucial influence on the outcome:
12 hours dipping in 18 ° C water
12 hours of drying at 21- 22 ° C
12 hours Exposed to frost in the night
In the years 1960 - 1963 was tested in attempts the prepare the seeds before the seeding - 32 ways (financed from the state budget). Of these, some successful, one of them is presented here, hardening seeds.
12 hours dipping in 14- 16 ° C water
12 hours of drying at 18- 20 ° C
12 hours Exposed it frost -2 ° C to -5 ° C
12 hours at 18- 20 ° C
12 hours dipping in 14-16 ° C
12 hours .................................................. ......................... ..

They maintain the required temperature in the refrigerator and use other similar devices equipped with thermostats. I do not have this option and I must find a place in the apartment with the required temperature. I do not have exactly the same temperature, but I think that this should not be so crucial influence on the outcome:
12 hours dipping in 18 ° C water
12 hours of drying at 21- 22 ° C
12 hours Exposed to frost in the night outdoors
Forecast for the next nights:
Wednesday -3 ° C
Friday -7 ° C
Sunday -7 ° C
Tuesday - 1 ° C
12 hours at 21- 22 ° C
12 hours dipping in 18 ° C
12 hours .................................................. .........................

Tibetan Spaniel (she is Tess) is darling of my wife.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tess.JPG (155.6 KB, 575 views)
Old December 30, 2015   #23
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Robbie and Vlad, if you have room for one more, PM me your address, I have one very early red determinate from seed I saved from a friend's plant. I would be interested for you to try up against the others you mentioned if you are interested or have the space.
This is not a known variety, fine dark green foliage, determinate, red, salad size. very early but can't say for sure the DTM
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015   #24
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Tibetan Spaniel (she is Tess) is darling of my wife.
Vladimír
A great picture of a very beautiful dog. Thank you.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

With the hardening of seeds I started the evening on Dec. 29, 2015, when I soaked twenty tomato seeds 0-33. Today I am behind half of hardening cycle (6 x freeze). I want to sow the seeds either the 18th or 20 January. I want also simultaneously sow the twenty untreated seeds as a control. I do not know yet exactly when and where I'll grow seedlings. I will probably grow part freely in the bed and a portion in a hotbed.Given that I will plant very early, I count with big losses, perhaps there will be no tomatoes from this experiment. Because I will be to plant seedlings very early, I count with big losses, it may be no tomatoes from this experiment.
Vladimír
PS.: Karen, thank you for the offer. I really have no place this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0034.JPG (82.5 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0035.JPG (37.6 KB, 540 views)
Old January 19, 2016   #26
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Very nice Vladimir, I'll be tuned in. Sowed seeds yesterday for 0-33 and Taimyr, in a couple more weeks I think I'll start Latah and Manitoba. Bring them along under lights, harden and move them to a portable greenhouse at the earliest possible time. I'm wanting tomatoes by early May.

And best of luck on your project.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #27
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

0-33, You think the breeder was implying a tolerance to wide temperature range? In Fahrenheit those numbers are 32-91.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #28
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Last year I did a pretty large grow out of determinates in AK, my favorites was Sasha's Altai, Glacier, and 0-33. This year I have the entire Saraev collection from Tania, and will see how they do.
I would rate S.A. the best so far, it had the largest tomatoes, but the three I did mention all tasted good.
Siletz was a spitter, Sophies Choice, barely ok, Silvery Fir Tree was barely ok. Sub Arctic Plenty was good.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #29
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very interested in hearing the results of these seed treatments, Vladimir.
Of the determinate reds I've tried here so far, only one was earlier than Stupice: Beaverlodge Plum. It loaded with fruit for such a small plant, but the taste was not interesting.. very mild.
The only ones that I liked taste and quality were Alaska and Napoli a Fiaschetto - but these are 10-15 days later than Stupice, so "mid season" for us.
Cold Set and Siletz tasted good enough here, but both of them burst all their fruits, not one was picked without splits. They were also about 10-15 days later than Stupice.
I haven't yet tried any of the varieties you are growing this season. They sure are interesting to read about.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #30
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Sasha's Altai at seedling stage. Yes!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote