Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 8, 2016   #31
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Today i planted all my breeding peas. It included 'Orange Pod' from IPK Gatersleben, Salmon-flowered (with potential F1 hybrids with Biskopens), Biskopens (with various potential F1 hybrids), Joseph's Red Podded, Joseph's Red Snap, Joseph's Yellow podded, Joseph's Yellow snap with pink spots, Virescens Mutante, Kapuler bred varieties: Sugar Magnolia (with various potential F1 hybrids), Spring Rose, Green Beauty and Sugaree. And others including my brown mottled Mummy pea and green seeded unnamed umbellatum originally from USDA GRIN.

In addition i direct seeded a few seeds i saved from the teosinte diploperennis-corn(maize) hybrids and Zea Mexicana teosinte within the pea breeding patch. I'm hoping at least one will make it to seed this year before fall ends. Here's crossing my fingers. I planted my pea stakes in a circle this year specifically to create a fence around the teosinte and teosinte hybrids. Last time i grew teosinte the racoons broke them stupidly thinking it was corn with something to eat. I'm sure they were disappointed. I sure was.

I got them planted before it started to rain.

I already have some Mighty Midget and Purple Passion peas growing in my cold frame. Also some discarded small peas were some of the first to grow that i threw in a spot last fall. I guess you could call them winter peas. This is the earliest i've ever planted before. But based on what others have said and my climate graph of my area it seems like i could have always planted peas in march. It's certainly been warm enough. It's even warm enough i'm considering planting some indian corn since i know it survives frosts just fine. But i don't know if i'm going to plant corn this year... still thinking about it.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #32
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Today i found three packets of pea seed i did not plant that i figured would be worth finding them space, so i set up the last remaining mini trellisi (is that the plural word?) and planted them. They were labeled: Partially red podded peas (joseph's line), Joseph's partially red pods, and partially-red snap.

Also the peas in my coldframe are alive and growing. Not really sure if the coldframe helped that much, but whatever.

The ones in the coldframe are Mighty Midget and Purple Passion.

Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #33
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

This was my first year growing peas--sugar snap. Lost most of them to herbicide drift from the idiot a*****e neighbors. The few vines that weren't hopelessly permanently stunted are only now flowering. I thought they'd be a spring crop that I could be pulling about now after enjoying a bit of a harvest and then use the residue to enrich my soil. So much for that plan. I wonder whether they would have flowered earlier and started yielding without the herbicide drift from my moron s******d neighbors.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #34
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I planted some sugar snap peas in a bucket this year. They are growing nicely, I wonder when do the first flowers appear? The variety is Gigante Svizzera, should be pretty blossoms.
(It has been a few years when I last grew peas, and those were a boring, usual variety..)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #35
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I lost all my peas this year to a groundhog family. I'm going to try for a fall crop but not sure when to get them started.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote