Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Day Ago   #7966
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about holiday meals today while I was doing some end of the season clean up in the gardens. I actually look at that cleanup as the beginning of next year's crop ideas.

For me, some threads are ongoing because they are a part of life. We have to eat, and I have to garden. That's where this thread comes in handy for me. I haven't been participating in this thread for a while now. Yes, I've been active, but I haven't shared recipes. The same is true with gardening. September and October were the wettest ones on record here. There wasn't any fall gardening.

I did learn a lot this year. It's time for me to share recipes again, and talk with you all about gardening. I've already started the gardening talk. Now it's time to help out here.

The recipes are Texan with influences from all over. The house we live in - 5 generations of Texans has had a direct influence and have either grown up here or have visited many times.
Old 18 Hours Ago   #7967
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Isn't dry brine = just salt?

Nope it is a mix of seasonings. Salt, of course! Pepper, paprika, herbs too. As you like. The difference with wet brine is that you just apply your brine mix as a rub to the bird, put in a bag in the fridge, and turn it over every 12 hours until ready to cook. And as I mentioned, you can thaw and brine simultaneously, so basically take your frozen bird, apply the brine mix, bag and refrigerate.

With a wet brined bird, some of the juiciness comes from the water it absorbs ie it is basically salty water juice, where a dry brined bird is brined in its own juices... this makes for a richer taste. And the tenderness and juiciness is certainly on par with wet brined, so... Easier and at least as good or better... what's not to love.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Hours Ago   #7968
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm staying out of the bird brine conversation because I feel at the end of it all it matters not what or how you do it but the finale cooking temperature.

Seen those high dollar Butter Balls turned into IMR 4831 gun powder at 175 breast meat temperature.
(NO SMOKING AT THE TABLE PLEASE)

Then it is taken out of the oven only for it go up to a whopping 185F.

Then for the coup de grace, it is sliced when it is still steaming hot if there is any moisture left in it to steam.

To top it off the juices were poured out in the alley in the back.

My drunken father in laws smoked turkey was to die for, ((literally)).
It (((wasn't cured))) then smoked all day at a low temperature for a rather large population of salmonella bacteria to propagate.
Then the cremated Meleagridinae was taken out for all to enjoy.
It was reminiscent of eating a bag of Kingsford charcoal pressed and shaped like a turkey that had just went through a forest fire.

At least all the salmonella were killed off.

Happy Thanksgiving and Bon Appetit.

Worth
Old 15 Hours Ago   #7969
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else love those round yam patties? They come in an 8-pack, frozen. They're becoming harder & harder to find here. Last year we went all over the city, found them in an IGA. They taste so good I can't believe everyone isn't clamoring for them.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Hours Ago   #7970
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Worth Sometimes the truth is funny when you can say that that you lived through it.

My stepmother was a very kind lovable woman who had no idea how to cook. She was the one in her family that brought her brother and sister's families here to have reunion type parties. She always went all out on decorations and games for the younger folk. She would cook the meals days ahead of time and leave them sitting on the table for that long too.

We made it a point to eat at home before attending her parties. Other than that, the parties were fun.
Old 3 Hours Ago   #7971
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

This Thanksgiving we chose our meats and sides by what they cost at the local stores. In our area of Texas, turkeys are cheap while hams have actually gone up in price. Our son was asked to smoke a turkey for his in-laws, so we bought a tiny 12 pound turkey for exactly $4 to smoke at the same time. (I should explain that calling a 12 pound turkey "Tiny" is not a Texas size joke.) We just cook for a lot of people who love turkey. Besides, a 12 pound turkey looks tiny compared to the 20+ pounder we will be cooking in the oven. Yes, two turkeys.

The rest of the menu may sound pretty generic, but most dishes are cooked with amended and improved recipes handed down from generations before me and Jan.

Cornbread Dressing (Personalized recipe)
Giblet Gravy (The only way I know of it being made.)
Rolls (Frozen)
Cranberry Sauce (Ocean Spray - just because we found it for 99 cents.)
Green Bean Casserole (Our DIL is making this from her grandmother's recipe)
Pea Salad (I learned from my mother when I was 4 years old.)
Sweet Potato Pie or Casserole (Jan's favorite - however she wants to make it.)
Deviled Eggs (A key ingredient is horseradish sauce.)
Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos with Cream Cheese filling.

We have no idea about the desert yet. Divinity was one idea, but it's going to be too humid. A fruit cobbler - I'm not paying those prices for frozen berries.

I would love to share our recipes if you would like to know them. Better yet, post your own so we can learn from each other.
Old 16 Minutes Ago   #7972
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Isn't dry brine = just salt?
Yes, vs a liquid brine that is salt + water (or anything else you want to add for different flavors).
I do the 3-day dry brine that the L.A. Times popularized a while back. Basically you clean and dry the thawed or fresh bird, apply salt (I like to use coarse sea salt) and massage it in, then place in large plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 days, massaging each day. I just rub the bird thru the plastic. 8 hours before cooking, remove bird from bag and take off the salt, place back in fridge on a large plate, no cover this time. You want to dry the turkey out which will result in a crisper skin.

Of course you can customize the recipe, for example I use grated yuzu or lemon rind in the sea salt brine. And I baste the turkey with butter while it cooks. Properly done, you should get a turkey that is perfectly seasoned and moist, no need to buy those marinated Butterball types:
http://www.latimes.com/la-fo-saltedturkey-story.html
Can't wait to start tomorrow evening!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote