Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 29, 2018   #1
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Default Temps for seedlings

First time seed starter. I started my sweet peppers last week in my basement and they came up in 6 days. I started on a heat mat under a dome with temps about 80-85 degrees. I have now removed the dome and took them off the mat. They are under lights (LED - 6500k). The air temp hovers around 50 degrees in the basement. The LEDs do not seem to affect the air temp very much. Maybe a bit of heat just below the lights. My temp gauge sits on the shelf beside the flat. That is where I get the 50 reading from. Will these little guys survive in the colder temps until the basement warms up if/when spring gets here?
Old March 29, 2018   #2
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I think t might be just a bit too cold for them. Look for signs of stress such as droopy leaves or yellowing on the new growth.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

They might survive, but like velikipop said, they will be cold. You could make a plastic enclosure around them to try to trap a little heat, or add other lights. The low level of heat is usually an advantage with LED lighting, but not so much so when starting seeds in a cold basement. Maybe you could place the heat mat in the plastic chamber, but not set the flat directly on it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #4
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like a mini greenhouse in the basement as a project this weekend. A temp controller was just delivered today with a larger heat mat so I'll work with that to see what I can come up with.
Old March 29, 2018   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You can make it as nice as you like. Just stapling up plastic or a tarp will help. Or if you want to put a little more into it, foil-faced styrofoam insulation sheets make great boxes. I have used foil furnace tape to hold them together. The tape is even strong enough to make hinges, if you just tape a panel on one edge.

A styrofoam box would hold heat very well, enough that the LEDs should make it as warm as you like. Since you have a temp controller, you could wire that to an exhaust fan up top, so that you vent when it gets hot. You'll need a fresh air exchange every so often anyway. You would want a passive intake at the bottom, like a dryer vent turned backwards.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #6
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Well, I just happen to have a sheet of 1/2" styrofoam board in the garage and a partial roll of radiant heat reflective foil. Also have a couple of PC fans not being used. Great idea.
Old March 29, 2018   #7
asaump
Tomatovillian™

So if I make this out of the Styrofoam do I call it a 'pinkhouse'?