Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2019   #16
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Beyond your excellent narrative, what are you doing with all those beans?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Beyond your excellent narrative, what are you doing with all those beans?
Well, Charley, right now I just turned off the heat of today's first pressure canner run. As usual, I took the pressure to 11 psi for 25 minutes and then took it up to 15 psi for about 4 minutes and then turned off the stove to let the whole thing drift down. What will I use them for, you may ask? I have my youngest son and his wife and extended family. I also have my brother and his children and their extended families. We have four generations running around here and I love to see them east things without spray and insecticides in them. I didn't put a single drop on my garden this year. I know they are all getting the best beans they can possibly have. I only make them return my jars.

So, I try to support 9 households and 4 of my closest neighbors. Beans are so easy to grow that I can raise one row or 3 rows. It's my choice of how much work I want to do. When I do the big crop, I usually get some "pickers" to come in and help harvest.

Hope this gets you in the mood to spread the goodies around your family and friends. We're as country as banjos and corn bread. It a comfort factor.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

A wonderful story, Ted, and thank you for posting it. Early mornings in the garden are just plain special, not to mention necessary when you live where the day gets hot quick.

There are always a couple of mockingbirds hanging around the garden, especially in the morning. Their singing is quite a concert. I've read that they are capable of 125 different calls in a row without repeating one. Simply amazing and quite a treat!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #19
tyrupp
Tomatovillian™

What kind of beans are you growing
tyrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #20
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrupp View Post
What kind of beans are you growing
Blue Lake Bush Beans. It's the same kind you find in the cans at the stores. However, we cook them a bit differently to enhance the taste. You know, we have to put our own marks on them.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote