Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 7, 2017   #46
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Momotaro/Tough Boy. Delicious, very productive, and attractive.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/MOMOTARO/productinfo/5149/
That's what ours looked like last year. I'm just curious what the F2s are going to be like.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #47
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Odoriko (a Momotaro cousin) is one that I grow every year now. Dester puts out great ones too, Elgin Pink and Nicky Crain are big and tasty.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #48
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Default Pink favorites

Have grown Momotaro every year since 2004. I also have a preference for Stump of the World and Branywine Cowlick's as very good tasting pink varieties. This year I will add the variety Polish to compare to them. I like Pink varieties in general.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #49
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
As for reds, I do have Pruden's Purple, Arkansas Traveler, and Atkinson. All are supposed to do better in high heat. I'm not sure about Big Beef F1 producing in high heat, but it's on the list as well. I am thinking of adding Couilles de Taureau and Neves Azorean Red.

I'm unsure if Arkansas Traveler is pink or red? I've read it described as both. (One or the other)

EDIT: Pruden's Purple is pink - not red. I got that one wrong.
My Arkansas Travelers are red. It was one of my best late season tomatoes last year really kicking it into high gear in the fall. It usually does good in the heat but finding it to be so good in the fall was a real plus. I'm always looking for varieties that can ripen in the fall cool down and still taste good.

If you go with Couilles de Taureau don't get too impatient with it because it does start slow. The first cluster is usually no more than two tomatoes that start later than most other varieties but once it gets going it can put out a lot of very large very tasty tomatoes.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #50
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My Arkansas Travelers are red.

Nope. They're pink. They just look red. See how confusing this is? I learned my colors when I was about three years old. I never had a problem with them until now.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #51
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I'm surprised that 4 so far have chosen German Queen as a favorite pink. I haven't noticed it cropping up (pun intended) often on previous lists. Tatiana has just a short sentence about it. http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/German_Queen I'd appreciate more information about why it's a favorite: yield, tolerances, taste, plant size, dtm, etc. (By the way, Heritage Seed Market and J&L Gardens have seeds.)

Steve
I've grown German Queen for close to 20 years. It has been my most consistent producer for pinks. Mine do not show the pronounced ridges like the pictures in Tatianas website they are rounder. Yield is excellent, I prune to two stems and try to limit to two per truss so I have more what I consider #1s. Size is very good 1 - 2 lb. smaller at the end of the season. The plants are quite large, out of a 6' cage by end of season, with large leaves that give excellent fruit coverage. Tolerance is very good, even when most of my other OPs have given up they produce right up to a frost. My main cruds are TMV and early blight. I also have problems with sylids that on bad years, like last, can take out an awful lot of plants. The GQ keep going, I think it's because of it large root system. At the end of the season when I tear out I can't pull them by hand have to dig. Taste is quite good but lower acid than I prefer. DTM, I've never really kept track but usually have the first ones ripen in mid to late July. They are my top selling heirloom at my stand, mostly because of looks, round pink and pretty with few blems or cracks.
Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #52
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had never heard of German Queen until this thread. After reading about them, I'll have to give them a try in the garden.
Old January 8, 2017   #53
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the good info. Marcus1. I'm going to have to try them, too. I've already ordered seeds.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #54
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Steve, I've looked back thru some old pictures & found a couple for reference of the GQ.

Definitely worth trying yourself.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #55
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grew GQ and have to admit it yielded massive amounts of very large, near perfect tomatoes, the taste was pretty good too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #56
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My Arkansas Travelers are red.

Nope. They're pink. They just look red. See how confusing this is? I learned my colors when I was about three years old. I never had a problem with them until now.
I guess you could be right because I never checked the skin to be sure. They just seem to orange to be pink. I had a weird plant from my Sudduth's seed and it looked exactly like all the others from that seed batch until it ripened reddish orange so I assumed it was a red. I am going to try and grow it out this year and see if it is stable. I will check the skin to be sure of the color; but I would still call it a red if it looked the same again.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #57
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Love Rebel Yell and Momotaro. Unfortunately, last year, the squirrels had their way with Momotaro and I never got to eat one. Biyskaya Roza was another one that did well for me.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #58
Bio-Ag-Guy
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing Odoriko every season for many years . It's the best tasting tomatoe I grow that produces well in my location.
Bio-Ag-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #59
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Rose for me - it's luscious!

Linda
I second Rose. It was my favorite Pink last year (first year I grew it). It was very productive, few seeds-very meaty and taste wonderful. My 73 year old mother said it is the best tomato she has ever had.

I believe I have a few seeds to spare if you want to try, just PM me Salt
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #60
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Pink slicers list that I planted yesterday. I still have 12 empty cells.

Arkansas Traveler
Big *** Tomato The pack is mislabeled as Indigo Apple. No Antho and nearly a pound.
Bradley
Brandy Boy OP It’s at F11
Elgin Pink
Goose Creek
Momotaro F2
Pruden’s Purple
Rebel Yell
Sweetie (Beefsteak)

I may ask for some others in the Wanted section.

I have the full list I planted yesterday if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 9, 2017 at 03:32 PM.