Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2019   #2791
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Ho Hum, just another July day here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hot.jpg (159.9 KB, 196 views)
Old July 2, 2019   #2792
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Anybody see the 5 feet of hail Mexico got in an hour? Can somebody send us some cool air and rain please?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019   #2793
bower
Tomatovillian™

Happy to trade cool air and rain for a day like today... summer! Over 70 F and humidex about 80 F so we were finally toasty. And a gorgeous SW breeze to keep the flies off. Just like a normal summer! Sure hope to get some more days like that before it's done.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019   #2794
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Barry forms in the Gulf of Mexico

My husband and I had lunch in Galveston today. This photo was taken as I was standing on Seawall Boulevard. The seawall was built in 1902 to protect the city against storms like the one that happened in 1900. The Gulf of Mexico is 17 feet below where I am standing. There is a tropical storm out there right now, Soon to become a hurricane (likely). Houston will be spared this time, but not so New Orleans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0711191312.jpg (254.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2019-07-11-15-04-11~2.jpg (178.7 KB, 140 views)
Old July 11, 2019   #2795
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Some people on the beach, shot of seawall

It was hot and hazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0711191301.jpg (343.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 0711191303c.jpg (186.1 KB, 135 views)
Old July 12, 2019   #2796
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Big rain yesterday, here. Started maybe 3pm and was pretty much done by 6pm.

Bucket dimensions

10.0(topID)

9.3(HeightInterior)

8.3(bottomID)
filled 7.5" high inside 3 hours.

Someone has a kid in geometry or trig that should be able to do that for right quick. I'll just estimate an honest 6".

We were picking up a vehicle from the mechanic and stayed to chat way too long...ended up getting cut off by water too deep for the subaru going the back way home and having to backtrack to the main road...where I found them blocking traffic southbound (back to town) and redirecting that traffic...up into the hills either direction where we just came from. Traffic was still coming northbound, so there was no reason to detour anyone. It was surreal. Instead of just making everyone stop, the idiots are putting tractor trailers and everyone else up "emergency" alternate routes...where they are getting stuck in every bottomland creek area.

Got some water in the basement, otherwise we are fine, but watching on the news, we are the only ones that really got hit by it. If the rain comes from WNW at lot of times we get practically nothing because it breaks up coming over the ridge. When it comes from the SW or SSW like it has most of this last year, we can get a lot rain that just condenses the last few miles as it approaches.

We had NO idea it was going to be flash floods until it started....and then didn't stop. But I can say for sure there are some serious issues with either the plans or follow through for the traffic control. There is no way those idiots should have been diverting traffic on the highway. Should have been stopping it and making everyone wait for it to stop raining.

One guy coming Northbound had the temerity to turn around and drive back into town before he got to the roadblock...he clearly realized if he kept going they wouldn't let him drive back home for hours...they sent someone in a big SUV racing after him like he just robbed a bank. I was parked up the hill in a church parking lot waiting it out when I saw that happen. Could not believe what I saw.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #2797
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

This is exactly what I was talking about...a pregnant mom and her son were killed because these idiot fire police were detouring traffic down back roads instead of stopping it where it was safe. That is down about 8-10 mi south of me, close to Schuylkill and she had no reason to be in a bottomland like. Dead, instead of waiting a few hours parked on higher ground.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/berks/preg...ers/1094492204
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #2798
bower
Tomatovillian™

JR, I went looking for an update on Barry last night and I read an article about how wet it's been in PA and Jersey. Glad you stayed where you were!
Wind direction is the whole game here for weather. We've been in a N, NW, NE, E flow instead of the usual prevailing SW winds in summer. No floods, and very abnormally light winds, the rain we've been getting is more like one of those expensive precision hoses that you can set on crazy gentle, practically aerosol sprinkle, you'd think you need an oxygen mask because it's basically water out there.... but very soft, just a constant flow... then the wind shifts and the clouds part and it's summer for a half a day... lots of fog too in between and darn cold. Sitting in the house wearing a jacket in july! But no floods, so we can't complain. Somebody always has it worse.
I read that the White House basement was flooded, too. Apparently that's where they keep the reporters.

https://www.cnet.com/news/drain-the-...e-white-house/
Old July 14, 2019   #2799
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Do we have any tomato people affected by Barry???
Old July 14, 2019   #2800
bower
Tomatovillian™

Rob (Rajun Cajun) is in Lafayette LA. They got some rain for sure! Hopefully not to the point of evacuating flooded.

The whole lower Mississippi area is affected with the worst risk because of being already swollen with water... So thinking of Goodloe as well and others in that state...
Old July 19, 2019   #2801
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Having only had just over 200mm of rain this year so far today should bring some much needed rain and being winter its normally the wettest time of year here.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #2802
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

We are getting a taste of the South here and it is going to continue for a couple more days. Its after midnight and 82 degrees and humid. They are expecting temps of 100 degrees tomorrow, up to 110 when the humidity is factored in. My sister is having an outdoor party tomorrow. The little ones will enjoy the pool and everyone will stay hydrated and take cooling breaks in the house. She is going to feel like she is back living in McKinney, TX again. This definitely unusual for Connecticut. Most people, myself included, do not have central air conditioning here, but I do have plenty of room sized units. I am concerned about it decreasing my tomato yields though. All those flower have pollen that is going to be pretty sticky I think.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #2803
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sue, for me thinking of Connecticut temperatures being like those here in Texas - is staggering. 100 degree temperature is taken in the shade, and 110 heat index is what it feels like to animals and people in the shade with at least some air circulation/wind/or a fan.

If you can shade your plants without the shading materiel touching the plants and provide some air movement (A Fan) will help along with watering. I never thought I would give this kind of advice to someone in Connecticut.

I came here to write about container gardening, but weather will always catch my attention first. (You have already made the most important parts known Take care of the people first.)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #2804
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow is the last day of it, so its probably not worth it to erect anything to shade them for one day. 100 degrees with the "real feel" as they call it of 105-110 with the humidity. I will take some pictures of the garden in the day or few days because someone today asked me to. It will be interesting to see how far they get this year. I haven't sprayed at all and I am seeing possibly some early blight. Will have to keep an eye on it. In really good years I am still picking and ripening tomatoes well into October. In a bad year, I am done by mid September due to disease.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #2805
encore
Tomatovillian™

well so much for all those blossoms on the plants! most blossoms i've seen on all my plants ever! but the last 3 days of record heat has dried up most of blossoms and they are falling off! BAD MOTHER NATURE! BAD! lol
encore is offline   Reply With Quote