Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2019   #1
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Default 12-branch pruning method

arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #2
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Old July 1, 2019   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Love it! I would not have the patience to count to 12 but . . . I use the same single stem lean and lower system outside. Great tips on where to cut long stems of fruit, etc.

Thank you!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Related: https://link.springer.com/article/10...580-014-0049-y

They don't have the 12 leaf but 14, and even that is too much (as in, too much pruning).

Last edited by zipcode; July 2, 2019 at 04:30 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #5
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

It would be interesting to see if the leaf-counting method is the same. The ladies in the video above start counting from the first leaf that has descended into the horizontal position, regarding the upturned young leaves as a part of the growing tip.

I try to leave more leaves is they are high enough from the ground and there are no signs of disease. So far all my 20 main plant are blemish free.
Old July 2, 2019   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Good videos...I am doing about the same thing this year with 25 or so big beefs. Last year was two stems and it worked great, but this year I am going with one. Similar to the videos, close spacing over plastic mulch, but florida weave outdoors instead of overhead support indoors like they have. My tomatoes get a lot more stout than those shown, but it is about time I double up the posts to add height. I had not considered counting branches like that and I wonder how 12 would work out for me.

In the videos they make a good point of not messing with the leader until it is clear where it is headed. I had a couple go awry this season when I took the AG19/hoops off. The plants were pushing the fabric, stout and ready to go, and I made a few questionable choices in the failing light that evening. Generally, that first pruning a few weeks or a month after plantout is when I run into the seemingly co-dominant stems and have to make a choice on which is the sucker, but really I'm not sure how much it matters. It is only a few days set back in June if the "wrong" choice is made.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2019   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Something that no one seems to talk about is that the sucker before each flower truss is much stronger growing. I always try to pinch those even if very small, if I don't have time for a week or so, or it will get very large.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote