Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 27, 2018   #31
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

What I mean by all this is the meaning of the words in Spanish, but you are right, your original name is Mallorquin pequeñito And it is very good that you keep your original name.
Ramallet is a word in Mallorcan language that is different from Spanish, Ramallet translated into Spanish is hanging tomato.
Example: Captain lucky bicolor. it does not mean that its name is what it is, its name is Captain lucky, bicolor is to specify its color.
Tomato ramallet Mallorquin pequeñito, his name is Mallorquin pequeñito, ramallet is to differentiate it from it is a tomato to hang
Greetings and good day to all

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #32
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I do not know who gave you the seeds of Mallorquin pequeño. I have them from Baikal. If it's variety of Mallorca, so it should honor its local name. Do not translate to Spanish. Then there is one tomato with two names.
Vladimir
PS: I have Ramallet pequeño yet. It is also from Mallorca. But it's not multiflora and has bigger round tomatoes. I do not know what yours are.

Last edited by MrBig46; May 27, 2018 at 02:48 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #33
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

MrBig46 you are right, it has been my fault.
it is clear that his name is Mallorquin pequeñito.
The other small Mallorcan tomato that is not multiflora I do not know, I also have the seeds of Mr. Baikal that is very good friends of mine. The mallorquin tomato ramallet pequeñito is multiflora, maybe if I had to stay with a single variety I would stay with the ramallet mallorquin pequeñito for its production, tolerance to diseases and has been the tomato that has endured me hung, 1 year in perfect conditions of juice and flavor
I am not an expert in ramallet tomatoes, this is my second year of cultivation and I have grown more than 50 species of ramallet tomatoes, and this year I will try another 50.
By the way how have you preserved the ramallet tomato? It is interesting to know how ramallet behaves in your country.
Thanks for your comments.

Nico.
Old May 27, 2018   #34
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

otras pocas fotos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-05-27_20-38-45-153.jpg (430.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-27_20-42-28-906.jpg (284.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-27_20-43-36-223.jpg (471.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-27_20-45-54-078.jpg (221.0 KB, 68 views)

Nico.
Old May 27, 2018   #35
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

MrBig46 a photo is of some varieties of ramallet tomatoes and the other photo is of the mallorquin tomato ramallet pequeñito
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170830_143505.jpg (287.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg temp_image (24).jpg (306.7 KB, 67 views)

Nico.
Old May 27, 2018   #36
clara
Tomatovillian™

I can only say "WOW" - such an amazing amount of storage/ramallet tomatoes! Great!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wow from me too. How do you tie the bunches together?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #38
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Has that same technique been used for bunches of grapes?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #39
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

That's... a lot of spider mites in that last picture.
Do these tomatoes tolerate spider mites well? I've been having big problems with them the last two years and some varieties succumb to them really fast.
Unfortunately I couldn't manage to germinate any of the ramallet I got from Baikal although I got great germination from mine and Marsha's seeds so i can't really try any soon.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #40
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Good afternoon everyone, clarify that last year was my first year to grow storage tomatoes and I am an apprentice, thanks to a great friend from Mallorca who has taught me, the spilling of ramallet tomatoes is a tradition in Mallorca for more than 100 years, it facilitates its long conservation and is still alive thanks to the legacy of mothers to children. To be able to spin and hang these tomatoes, they are picked from the plant before they ripen completely, they are sewn to a rope and they ripen hung, they require a dry, ventilated place with little light. I leave you several links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNi903undIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QxVmx4ETw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WyE_6umc4

https://youtu.be/3HN57Xx3TTM

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #41
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

I do not have a clue about grape clusters, but I think it's not the same.

★ zip code, you are right that last photo has red spider but the tomato does not affect it, but to the plant yes, the truth is that the tomato ramallet was the one that best adapted to diseases,
Last year was a red spider devastation, but this year I have proposed to fight the red spider effectively.
Regarding the germination of the seeds, it is strange because they are all new and fresh seeds, to me if all of them are germinated.
Anyway, I would be happy to give you seeds
Good morning to all

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #42
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Looks wonderful! The thread must be very strong to be able to hold the heavy fruit.

I wish I had such an ventilated large space where to store tomatoes.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #43
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

The Mallorcan people are true artisans of the hanging tomatoes, in the area where I live there is no tradition of hanging tomatoes (Andalucia), it is very typical in the Balearic Islands and Catalonia.
Some people do not have space and keep them in cardboard boxes or other materials

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #44
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
...Unfortunately I couldn't manage to germinate any of the ramallet I got from Baikal although I got great germination from mine and Marsha's seeds so i can't really try any soon.
I had trouble germinating the 5 varieties I seeded from Baikal, too. Eventually I got a plant from 4 out of 5. They are not vigorous. I think Baikal sent good healthy seeds, but somewhere in the Postal system they may have gotten damaged.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #45
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasGarcia View Post
Good afternoon everyone, clarify that last year was my first year to grow storage tomatoes and I am an apprentice, thanks to a great friend from Mallorca who has taught me, the spilling of ramallet tomatoes is a tradition in Mallorca for more than 100 years, it facilitates its long conservation and is still alive thanks to the legacy of mothers to children. To be able to spin and hang these tomatoes, they are picked from the plant before they ripen completely, they are sewn to a rope and they ripen hung, they require a dry, ventilated place with little light. I leave you several links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNi903undIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QxVmx4ETw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WyE_6umc4

https://youtu.be/3HN57Xx3TTM
I loved these videos it's the older folks that do this, and they are craftsman! The one with all the townsfolk working together, with needles and thread was quite fun to watch. I noticed they pick at half ripe, I guess the tomatoes continue to ripen while hung up. These were charming to watch, thank you for the links Nico.
I have also experienced low germination from seeds from one of our Spanish members, but some were viable.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote