Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 4, 2015   #16
peebee
Tomatovillian™

What variety cucumber is that? It looks so yummy and juicy. I had one cuke from about 30 plants this year, thanks to spider mites. Last year, awash in cukes, no tomatoes. This year, loaded with tomatoes, no cukes. Go figure.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #17
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Cuke is called Hoffman's Johanna from baker creek. Excellent flavor.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #18
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
@kunosoura: It doesn't really. The last few years I've been able to keep about half of the plants going strong. The weather has been a bit unpredictable, with unusually cold weather hitting us in Jan-Feb. And by cold I mean high 30s in the dead of night. I'm a bit inland so the daytime temps tend to be on the slightly hot side (90s max, usually 77 or thereabouts, and in the winter 60s). Never humid here. This winter is supposed to be wet but not cold.

Max downtime is two months. After that its wave after wave of seedlings to keep getting those big first fruits. The interesting part is seeing the whole spectrum of bugs and diseases, and figuring out which counterpunch is called for during that long span. It's like being in one those long 15 rounders of yesteryear.

I'm searching for compact growers with heavy fruit set and great flavor.

On a side note, I gave away a bag of tomatoes recently, prized ones, and I said "You should use these right away, they're perfect for salads or sandwiches." I went back to visit and the bag had the same knot on it 10 days later. Paul Robesons and Carbons wasted. I immediately understood what I had read on here, about that feeling. No worries.

You're way too generous.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #19
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear, the little boy turned into his Skellington shirt!

Love your avitar!
Old October 5, 2015   #20
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Oh dear, the little boy turned into his Skellington shirt!

Love your avitar!
Oh yeah, he's been on a skeleton/spiders/bat craze since last Halloween, so this is his favorite time of the year, even more so than xmas.

I think he appreciates the art on most of my liquid nutrients way more than I do, he always finds the bats, worms and seagulls on every label.

To him Disneyland isn't the home of Goofy/Minnie/Donald/castles or that esoteric "magic," to him it's the place where they have Jack's Mansion...and he's asking to go back constantly.

Here's the full pic, there's a skeleton bodysuit on the way, so this outfit is only an interim one.
Iñaki.TV.jpg

Oh, and he'll turn 4 in late December.
Old October 5, 2015   #21
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Halloween is THE BEST for me too. I love decorating my house and yard for the kids. I dress up as well. Some of the poor children are too scared to come to the door. It's Okay, because just seeing the yard is an experience in itself.

I just love his costume and make-up. Please post a pic when the full suit is here.

When my daughter was 4, she was a witch in full green, orange and purple make-up. I thought that she looked great. I took her out trick or treating. When we came home she went out back to our goldfish pond and fell in. I pulled her out and she had seaweed hanging all over her, her make-up was running and boy did she look a sight. Here she was soaking, cold and dripping and I had to run for the camera! The best, ugliest witch I had ever seen.

Tell him he looks frightful and to have an awesome Halloween.

Happy Witching to him!
Old October 15, 2015   #22
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

sd zoo day.

gorila 1.jpg

gorila 2.jpg

zoo 3.jpg

Last edited by Gerardo; October 15, 2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old October 15, 2015   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

The tomatoes are awesome... the give away was awful! hate it when that happens. I quit giving them away. IF someone wants something for free they have to pick it, otherwise I sell it. no worries on wasting them then. If they let it go bad that is their waste of money and not my waste of fruit.

That little kid? now he is adorable. looks like a keeper to me.
Old October 15, 2015   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Been following the thread all along everything looks great.
The dogs remind me of the pets i have had and my cat now.
Wont get up and move for anything because they trust you.
As for the give away thing I know what you mean.
One woman I give stuff to goes home and takes care of it.
She will talk the onions home and hang them up in the barn and everything.
Another lady I had to chew out about 3 months ago.
I asked her how the summer sausage was I had given her a long time ago.
She said I dont know it is in the freezer.

Martha you are a hoarder dont hoard my sausage it will go bad keeping it for too long of a time.
I mean I really cussed her out and told her son to not let her hoard my food as when we run out we will make more.
By dickens she ate the stuff and loved it.

On a side note I ended up with 8 quart freezer bags of Gallana pinta nestled in the freezer.
I cannot thank you enough for the idea, it is very close to something my mother made all of the time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #25
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

@clkelper: Thanks. None will be given away, they will meet a good death.

@Worth: Thank u. Dogs were born in a vacant lot next to an industrial park where TVs are made. The quality person at the plant is a dog lover and somehow we got word of these guys. We were able to place 6 of them in our extended family, dog-lover kept two, we kept two, and the rest went to assorted good homes. Great pooches, headstrong, and chewing machines. Street genes provide them with a fitness that's difficult to measure. Diseases don't seem to phase them, and they're great with crowds and children. Working on improving their leash manners.

Gallina pinta is comfort food, defrost as needed. Remember, next hurdle is ceviche.

Today's basket, two views:
Wes, Bkx, German Johnson, Mt Magic + other cherry, Paul Robeson, Nicky Crain, Dester, SOO, Shannon

10.15.2015.tv.jpg

same harvest.alternate view.jpg

Last edited by Gerardo; October 16, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old October 15, 2015   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

"Gallina pinta is comfort food, defrost as needed. (((Remember, next hurdle is ceviche)))."
Gerardo the only ceviche I have ever had was some shrimp soaked in citrus from a street vendor in Tijuana back in 1978.
It is the only raw water critter I have ever liked besides dried Korean squid slathered in hot sesame oil.
It is something like Ojingeochae muchim and I bought it from a very nice Korean man.
People would ask what are you guys eating?
Dried squid.
His last name was the same as my middle name so as far as he was concerned we were related.
A friend and I were some of his first customers at the store and he always gave us free samples to try out and buy.
The man was a merchant marine that got his citizenship in America opened a small store worked hard and then got his family over, wife and two children.
Then he added on a restaurant we used to eat at every week.
At the restaurant his family would eat different food and he would always invite me to eat with them.
Sometimes it would just be the left over bones to nibble on.

The tomatoes look great.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #27
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
"Gallina pinta is comfort food, defrost as needed. (((Remember, next hurdle is ceviche)))."
Gerardo the only ceviche I have ever had was some shrimp soaked in citrus from a street vendor in Tijuana back in 1978.
It is the only raw water critter I have ever liked besides dried Korean squid slathered in hot sesame oil.
It is something like Ojingeochae muchim and I bought it from a very nice Korean man.
People would ask what are you guys eating?
Dried squid.
His last name was the same as my middle name so as far as he was concerned we were related.
A friend and I were some of his first customers at the store and he always gave us free samples to try out and buy.
The man was a merchant marine that got his citizenship in America opened a small store worked hard and then got his family over, wife and two children.
Then he added on a restaurant we used to eat at every week.
At the restaurant his family would eat different food and he would always invite me to eat with them.
Sometimes it would just be the left over bones to nibble on.

The tomatoes look great.

Worth
Food brings everyone together. When you are open, people let you in. Korean man sound like a driven person.

Back to this evening's feature: Blacula (1972).
Old October 27, 2015   #28
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Update on some of the plants in the initial pics of this post.

Bosky Chabarovsky. Strong, sturdy, rugose, tough, great fruit set, tons of flowers. If it tastes good it'll have a permanent spot.
bosky chabarovsky.TV.jpg
bosky chabarovsky.TV.macrojpg.jpg

Cole recovering after canine rough play time included this plant, and the next Tasmanian Chocolate (the rootpot is 25 gallon). They've recovered well.
cole.recovering.TV.jpg
tasmanian chocolate.number 2.TV.jpg

Copper River. Strong plant. Some EB susceptibility.
copper river.TV.jpg

Fuzzy Wuzzy. Tons of flowers. Cool hairs.
fuzzy wuzzy.TV.jpg

Mano. These seedlings were frail. An experiment using a small SWC.
mano.TV.jpg

Joe Laurer's G Egg. Nice and symmetrical. Some EB susceptibility.
Joe Laurers.G.Egg.TV.jpg

Another Tasmanian Chocolate. I'm very impressed with this plant. If this is the norm for dwarfs, I'm a convert. All of Tasmanian Chocolate's PR siblings are welcome in my garden, and will likely take over. Thank you all for your diligent work in selecting these bad boys out.
tasmanian chocolate.TV.jpg

Van Wert Ohio. Two plants sharing a 10 gal grow bag. They are happy.
van wert ohio.TV.jpg

And finally, today's haul. This has been the norm for a few weeks now. Woohoo!
harvest 8.27.TV.jpg
Old October 27, 2015   #29
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

How did I miss this thread? These are really great looking plants and fruits. My favorite is the snack from the garden. If you don't mind saying, what's your micro climate/area? (I understand if you choose not to answer-I'm ultra protective of my kids as I'm sure you are)
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #30
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
How did I miss this thread? These are really great looking plants and fruits. My favorite is the snack from the garden. If you don't mind saying, what's your micro climate/area? (I understand if you choose not to answer-I'm ultra protective of my kids as I'm sure you are)
Thanks. No worries, no state secrets here. My garden is south, inland, more or less at the level of Otay Lakes. Elsewhere it might be gray, not here. Already planning three 10-12 foot tracts of RGGS for next year to counter the copious sun.