Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 14, 2006   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default Got the Baby Seedling Blues

I started my hot & sweet pepper seeds March 16th. With heat, I got germination within a week. But my plants are still very small - some with 2nd set of true leaves, some with first. I have transplanted & buried stems up to cotyledons about 2 weeks ago, but they are only about 1" to 2" tall plants. Does this seem normal? Is there any way to encourage growth? I will be planting out 1st wk of June if weather warms up. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2006   #2
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

Sounds kind of slow. I started mine later and they are larger than that. What kind of light are they getting? Have you fed them?
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #3
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I have them under flourescents - warm & cool bulbs. They are in the basement, which is just a basement & cool. I was thinking maybe I should bring them up to a warmer room in the house & rig up some lights there. Or add a bottom heat?

I have been watering all my transplants with MG "Quick Start" - a liquid 4-12-4.
Old May 14, 2006   #4
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

I would go for the warmer room. I grow mine, while inside, under ordinary flourescents and use dilute Miracle Grow but they are in a spare bedroom.
Old May 15, 2006   #5
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Kim,

Sorry to hear that your peppers are so sluggish. Our temps are not helping matters at all, are they? I keep waiting for this wind to die down so I can put the plants outside. I've got everybody in the garage now, they're out of the house for good, but I'm reluctant to put the peppers and eggplants directly outside in this weather. I hope it warms up for Vicky Day Weekend. I was really hoping to transplant at least the tomatoes then.

Cheers,
Julianna
Old May 15, 2006   #6
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I don't think we are going to see any warm temps or sunshine any time soon - rain every day from now until at least Sat - Sat only a high of 9C I know I won't be putting anything in the ground until at least June 1st. I think I will try a warmer room for the peppers & hope for the best!
Old May 15, 2006   #7
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

Our last frost date is end of May and that's usually when I set out peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants. We often have a cool beginning to june and I noticed that the hot weather plants didn't seem to do much those first couple of weeks and also that some seemed permanently stunted. Last year I started everything 2 weeks later and put them out mid-June. They did quite well and I don't think I lost anything by that method and ,perhaps, gained.
Old May 16, 2006   #8
ACEHearts
Tomatovillian™

I wonder why they are so small Kim. I started mine on March 19th, and they were all in my basement under cool florecent lights and were doing well. Of the ones that survived they still aren't *huge* but definetly not too bad.

I'm sure once they get a bit more heat they'll perk right up and catch up, crossing my fingers for you!

Cindy
ACEHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Mine are only going out from about 8-5 now. I've been bringing mine back inside at night and turning on the lights for about 4 hours since it turned cool, cloudy and rainy and windy (night lows about 48).They seem to be growing faster. So I agree, put them in a warmer spot.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote