Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 26, 2016   #121
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share that information. As I said, I got my seed from Dmitry Shlomin, who is a wonderful source of seed and stories, but didn't know anyone else who had grown it. However, the plants were productive, as usual, and the beaked fruits were popular at the market. I wouldn't describe 'Golden Canary' as a paste tomato. It is more a salad type. There is another variety from Russia, Buratino, which is similar in shape, but orange in color.

I don't see it grown much either, though it is a good one. I hope you are having a good holiday and staying warm!
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #122
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post

Merry Christmas everyone! The mountains here look like a Christmas card and it is almost time to think about the new season.
Our catalog is out and we added a bunch of new tomatoes, peppers, and corn. There are over 300 varieties now, all raised on our farm. So much for retirement! The 2017 catalog can be found on the farm web page.
As always, if anyone here would like a sample of something, all you have to do is ask. Jan and I hope all of you are enjoying being with friends and family and wish you the very best.
Lee
Lee,

I think you should make some tomato Christmas cards! I'm sure lots of tomatoville members would be keen to buy them .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #123
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Lee,

I think you should make some tomato Christmas cards! I'm sure lots of tomatoville members would be keen to buy them .

Linda
This is an awesome suggestion.
I for sure would order some!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2017   #124
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

You know, that would be fun. Next week I start my first flats of tomatoes and peppers. However, I have a little time until then and before the seed orders begin to really pour in. I could include a greeting card with the seeds - not a bad idea.
A late but Happy New Year to you all!

Lee
Old March 22, 2017   #125
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Lee, could you please tell me the parentage of Wild Tiger and who is the originator? Thank you
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #126
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

I'm the originator and the history is somewhat complicated. Danube and Wild Tiger are selections from a cross of a tomato I had called Dark Tiger and one of the Ambrosia lines. The Ambrosia lines came from grow outs of SunGold later crossed to a wild species. (as is documented somewhere here)
Dark Tiger is from Green Zebra ( a Tom Wagner tomato) and my Bosque Blue.
That mixture gives rise to the unusual color and the streaking of green in the flesh of the tomato.
Thank you for asking. It is always enjoyable to talk about tomatoes and I don't get here as much as I would like.
Lee
Old March 22, 2017   #127
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much, Lee!!! Because a few of my friends and I have seeds of Wild Tiger from different sources. And there's also a range of pictures - stripes, anthos, pastes and hearts. So we're all trying to figure out if we have different tomatoes with the same name or if the Wild Tiger is still unstable.
Old March 22, 2017   #128
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

There must be some other tomatoes with the same name. The only variation I have seen in 3 years of maintaining Wild Tiger is a slight difference in shape. Some are fatter and some more pointed. That is the reason I still list it as a trial variety. I have only grown 6-8 plants the last couple of years. This season I started 12 plants and perhaps I should plant them all just to check.

Lee
Old March 24, 2017   #129
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Oh boy, am I anxious to see what we all get
Old July 17, 2017   #130
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown Vincent's White and found it not to be as expected?
I had 3 seedlings, one of which was potato leafed, the other 2 being rgular leafed.
I grew on the potato leafed plant. It was very productive but the tomatoes did not resemble the picture or description on the website. Thy are bright yellow and smaller, weighing at about 4oz.
I am sure hat i did not mix up my seedlings because I am growing nothing similar.
Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #131
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I grew Vincent's White for 2015 and 2016 and they were consistent pale yellow beefsteaks. They were RL. They weren't giant but they weren't small either. I'd guess they averaged about 6 to 8 oz. I think Lee puts out good stuff, some of which might be a bit unsettled but overall I like J & L a lot. His Ambrosia lines are killer for me. I also really like Dark Tiger and Wild Tiger. I don't know what the lineage of Vincent's White is but I love the story behind it.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017   #132
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Goodwin,

Today I tried to access the catalog www.jandlgardens.com/catalog/ and got a message saying I had to install something called Zen Cart before I could go any further. I've shopped there before without having to download anything. It seemed a little suspicious to me.

So I tried to email you. I hit the "contact us" button and my email opened up but the compose message had only "index.html" in the address field. So I can't access the catalog and I can't email you and some program wants me to download something. I'm not downloading anything without more information. Did you get hijacked?

I posted this in General Discussion and Bipetual said the same thing happened to him/her.

Nan

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #133
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Lee, we can't see your catalog. Hope everything's okay!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #134
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

That's the setup page for his shopping cart programme. Essentially something has gone wrong with the catalogue page of his site, and it is pointing at an administration setup page instead.

The main site front page is still up at http://www.jandlgardens.com/ but we'll have to wait until he fixes his shopping cart. If you want to see their products, perhaps try using the Ebay and Bonanza links on that front page.
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2017   #135
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I just spoke with Lee on the phone and he is aware of the problem with his site, but he's got so much going on right now that he won't be able to get it straightened out for a couple more days. He's got huge amounts of ripe produce to harvest by himself for this weekend so he has to deal with that first. He wants everybody to know that he appreciates the concern and is sorry for the delay.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote