Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 27, 2016   #1
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Default Schultz Moisture Plus Potting Mix

Hello everybody,

I transplanted my cherry tomatoes 3 weeks ago into my raised beds. I filled them with Schultz Moisture Plus Potting Mix (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sc...4335p.html#srp) hoping that it wouldn't be too heavy. They have grown maybe 1 cm IF that since they've been outside. I hardened them off, so I don't think its the cold at night. Its been a little rainy so far this summer but not so much that I think it would be a huge deal.

That leaves the soil- does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any way I can amend the soil for next year if its no good or should I try something completely different? I've been told before that its a waste trying to improve a poor mix.

Thank you kindly in advance
SuntannedSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Water retaining crystals in the mix is probably not a good idea. I haven't heard anyone say but bad things about them.
Still, things shouldn't be that bad, I would think. Maybe check the pH.
For improving outside soil, compost is the best bet I would say.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I tested that soil two years in a row and it worked fine in my Zone 4. It isn't uncommon for tomato plants to grow slowly when it is cool and wet. Generally, they grow very little if they don't get enough sun or the roots are doing the backstroke. Growing only 1cm in 3 weeks is terrible! Be careful not to overwater and I would fertilize them now.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have used Schultz potting mix for years and have stayed away from the moisture plus. For me it did not do as well as the regular mix. You should be OK, but like dustdevil says, fertilize them now and don't overwater.
Old October 23, 2016   #5
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Hello all,

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread but I thought I would post an update for anyone interested in this soil mix. I'd also like to thank you three for the good advice, my plants really took off and they reached about 5' tall by the time I pulled them in September. All of the tomatoes were still green but I think that had more to do with the fact I started them in late april and didn't prune.

Thanks again.
SuntannedSwede is offline   Reply With Quote